AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1966 was a watershed year in TV as all network programs went color. 1968 was a watershed year in American history with the Tet Offensive of the Vietnam War, assasinations of RFK and Martin Luther King and humans first orbit around the moon.

History changes in small increments and technology also changes in small increments but look at the possibilities for 2008:

You might actually be able to buy a Two way Cable capable set.

1080p Plasma will certainly be here by then.

DLP may hit its zenith in technological advancement.

SXRD will be more ubiquitous and cheaper.

SED will probably be selling REAL sets by then--maybe they won't cost as much relatively speaking as a Qualia does today.

HD discs of some kind will certainly be sold by then.

You may see REAL 1080p input support and maybe more PC HD Titles.

And bigger than anything else will be the filtering down to Joe Six-pack at Wal-Mart technologies and resolutions while maybe not what any of us at the Forum here would groove on but certainly an advancement over what is out now.

The HD switdchover will happen--not to mention the 2008 Presidential Race.

I think 2008 will be Quite a year in Video as 2006 and 2007 will set the stage. What do any of the rest of you out there think? Any observations on what you think 2008 will be like and what you would want it to be like are quite welcome!

·
Registered
7,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood
History changes in small increments and technology also changes in small increments but look at the possibilities for 2008:

Yes, hopefully 3 chip 1080p (real) dlp sets ... but then, I'm not holding my breath.

Hopefully it won't be 2008 before we see ear 1080p inputs though (I guess next year's models) ...

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood
1966 was a watershed year in TV as all network programs went color. 1968 was a watershed year in American history with the Tet Offensive of the Vietnam War, assasinations of RFK and Martin Luther King and humans first orbit around the moon.

You might actually be able to buy a Two way Cable capable set.

1080p Plasma will certainly be here by then.

SXRD will be more ubiquitous and cheaper.

SED will probably be selling REAL sets by then--maybe they won't cost as much relatively speaking as a Qualia does today.

HD discs of some kind will certainly be sold by then.

And bigger than anything else will be the filtering down to Joe Six-pack at Wal-Mart technologies and resolutions while maybe not what any of us at the Forum here would groove on but certainly an advancement over what is out now.

The HD switdchover will happen--not to mention the 2008 Presidential Race.

I think 2008 will be Quite a year in Video as 2006 and 2007 will set the stage. What do any of the rest of you out there think? Any observations on what you think 2008 will be like and what you would want it to be like are quite welcome!
I think 2005 will be regarded as a milestone. "Affordable" SXRD 1080p

and 1080p DLP have provided RPs with a Quantum leap in performance.

PQ is absolutely stunning with clean hi-quality HD material.

I suspect these technologies will also bring about new performance/price

points in FPs in 2006. 2006 will also bring in the content via HD DVD and

Blu-Ray DVD which make 1080p sets come alive.

2007/08 will probably be the start of the demise of RPs with the introduction

of another quantum leap in technical performance via 70+ in. 1080p SED with

100,000+ to 1 CR and CRT Black levels and with 1080p plasma / lcd as relatively

lower cost flat panels.

·
Banned
8,738 Posts
Artwood,

Do you think by 2008 we can get microsdisplay with great black performance? Not none of this, the Qualia is so great but level could be better crap. :mad:

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know how much better black level performance will be but at least adjustable irises are an attempt at a solution. Anyone care to guess at which technology will have for actual sale the best black level performance in 2008?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.