AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

I'll partially answer my own question in tentative agreement with one of the speculations out there that once volume pricing is achieved that curved screens will outlive their charter of "confuse and distract" and flat will return.

Jeez, I @#$%ing hope so.

In any case, given the maybe increase in yield, and the LG semi-aggressive price drops with the Samsung maybe following suit, are we nearing the realm of sensibility again by next year?

Or am I stuck on ISS Enterprise for some time longer?

·
Banned
11,424 Posts
I expected the fad to end last year, but they still want to play the differentiation game, especially now that 4K is coming in force, so it doesn't instill much confidence that 2015 will be "the year" either.

Also, I have my doubts the Samsung will be following suit in anything. Have you checked availability of the set from the typical retail outlets? Best Buy has removed it from their site altogether, and Amazon has nothing but used listings. Froogle shows only a couple oddball outlets with it up for sale. As far as I can tell, it all rests on LG in the near-term. Therefore I see the fad continuing indefinitely. :|

·
Banned
10,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97  /t/1520819/will-2015-be-the-year-fo...e-wtf-are-they-waiting-for/0_60#post_24434924

I expected the fad to end last year, but they still want to play the differentiation game, especially now that 4K is coming in force, so it doesn't instill much confidence that 2015 will be "the year" either.

Also, I have my doubts the Samsung will be following suit in anything. Have you checked availability of the set from the typical retail outlets? Best Buy has removed it from their site altogether, and Amazon has nothing but used listings. Froogle shows only a couple oddball outlets with it up for sale. As far as I can tell, it all rests on LG in the near-term. Therefore I see the fad continuing indefinitely. :|

Fair enough.  Sucks, but fair enough.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Supposedly you can disconnect the framed speakers from the gallery OLED, so you should be able to buy a flat screen in a few months.

I would wager quite a bit that you will be able to buy a "normal" flat screen in 2015. This isnt a VHS/Betamax war. LG will sell whatever consumers want once prices fall and volumes build.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts