AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
that is the rumor and it seems credible. it seems like all of us (who are subscribing) are getting

shiny new p4 cards recently and the 3.7 beta will only work with p4's.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I don't think you have to worry about doing the upgrade though; until the next software is officially released to the masses (which means you'll get it anyway), doing the upgrade you'll still end up with v3.5.

Once 3.7 is released, it does look like you'll have to contact DTV to get a P4 card if you haven't received yours yet (although I'd be pretty surprised if they miss anyone - the have the list of all their subscribers who also have UTV and I'm sure they find out when you deactivate your old card and activate the new one so they'll know if they have subscribers with UTV that haven't yet done the upgrade. If you have a UTV but just use it as a regular receiver (i.e. don't pay the $10/month) then you might get stuck (or quite possibly the new update won't affect you since you don't use the UTV features anyway and your card may keep working).

·
Registered
2,263 Posts
He probably isn't a customer.

·
Registered
17,586 Posts
A while back when the upgrade server was down, someone at MS heard about this and check on it, according to an earlier post, and found the problem. As a result, the upgrades continued. I think there may be enough techs at MS that see this as a good thing, especially for repair shops, that the upgraded drives will still be useful. I think if they killed the ability to upgrade, as well as the ability to use an already upgraded unit, there would be a lot of POed people who would order TiVos immediatley. Of course, you never know, but if you haven't done the upgrade, I would wait to see what happens, first, to others who have allready upgraded. BTW, anyone who does the upgrade after the new software comes out should report successes or failures here so others can know what's up.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.