AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Given all the excitement and momentum around 4K computer displays, viewed from 2', I am curious what will be the visible improvements we will see on 4K TVs (say 55", 65") viewed from more like 10'?

Context: Apple with the MacPro is pushing 4K video production, some smartphones are beginning to shoot 4K video, Netflix and YouTube are supporting 4K streaming. What will this all mean for 4K TVs?

I was in a Sony Style store recently and was really blown away by the 4K demo reel they had running to their 84" ($25K) 4K TV. This was viewed from around 8', which coupled with the display size, changes the visual geometries quite a bit from a 65"/10' viewing scenario. But then when I viewed to Sony's 55" and 65" 4K displays, unfortunately with a different demo reel, I was lukewarm on what I saw, even viewing from 6'. So I don't know if the 84" demo was unrealistically pumped up, or if there was something else at work.

So, here is what I'm curious to learn:

- Will 4K TVs, say 65" at 10' be visibly better than the same setup with a HD TV?

- If so, how?

- Will sports and travel events be shot differently in 4K froGiven all the excitement and momentum around 4K computer displays, viewed from 2', I am curious what will be the visible improvements we will see on 4K TVs (say 55", 65") viewed from more like 10'?

·
Banned
10,026 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tecsi  /t/1522674/will-4k-65-tvs-really-matter-when-viewed-from-10/0_60#post_24486452

Given all the excitement and momentum around 4K computer displays, viewed from 2', I am curious what will be the visible improvements we will see on 4K TVs (say 55", 65") viewed from more like 10'?

Context: Apple with the MacPro is pushing 4K video production, some smartphones are beginning to shoot 4K video, Netflix and YouTube are supporting 4K streaming. What will this all mean for 4K TVs?

I was in a Sony Style store recently and was really blown away by the 4K demo reel they had running to their 84" ($25K) 4K TV. This was viewed from around 8', which coupled with the display size, changes the visual geometries quite a bit from a 65"/10' viewing scenario. But then when I viewed to Sony's 55" and 65" 4K displays, unfortunately with a different demo reel, I was lukewarm on what I saw, even viewing from 6'. So I don't know if the 84" demo was unrealistically pumped up, or if there was something else at work.

So, here is what I'm curious to learn:

- Will 4K TVs, say 65" at 10' be visibly better than the same setup with a HD TV?

- If so, how?

- Will sports and travel events be shot differently in 4K froGiven all the excitement and momentum around 4K computer displays, viewed from 2', I am curious what will be the visible improvements we will see on 4K TVs (say 55", 65") viewed from more like 10'?

This is an endless debate.  For the best in conversations, please take a look at the following threads (not in any particular order):

4K resolution is visible vs 1080p on 55" TV from a 9 foot viewing distance

4K by 2K....lots of rumors-thoughts

Interest in a 1080 vs 4K shootout?  Can we get to the heart of the matter?

4K or not 4K?

·
Registered
4,540 Posts
As you're deciding, keep in mind the possibility that the 4K TVs might look better for reasons unrelated to their increased resolution.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregLee  /t/1522674/will-4k-65-tvs-really-matter-when-viewed-from-10#post_24522978

As you're deciding, keep in mind the possibility that the 4K TVs might look better for reasons unrelated to their increased resolution.

Give me a 65-70" 1080p OLED that supports rec2020 and I'll be a happy camper (once content is available). At 13ft viewing distance, 4k is just not that important… I'll take 4K on my projector though

·
Registered
6,045 Posts
I saw a 65" 4k TV playing 4k content from about 8' away and I could see a big difference in picture quality between it and regular HDTVs. I was skeptical having read all the so called experts claiming there's no difference, but the difference was obvious.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97  /t/1522674/will-4k-65-tvs-really-matter-when-viewed-from-10#post_24552149

^Was the establishment you saw this comparison peddling 4K? I don't trust such comparisons where you have no control over the unknown variables.

It was Best Buy. They had lots of TVs of all types on display. The 4K TV I saw was the best looking image I've ever seen on a TV by far. The image was vastly superior to anything I've seen regardless of sitting distance.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood  /t/1522674/will-4k-65-tvs-really-matter-when-viewed-from-10#post_24554418

At 10 feet you need 110 inches for 4K.

My experience is this is way off the mark. At least on some 4K TVs. You'll notice a huge improvement on screen sizes much smaller than 110" at 10'.

·
Banned
11,424 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn  /t/1522674/will-4k-65-tvs-really-matter-when-viewed-from-10/0_100#post_24555830

It was Best Buy. They had lots of TVs of all types on display. The 4K TV I saw was the best looking image I've ever seen on a TV by far. The image was vastly superior to anything I've seen regardless of sitting distance.
Yea, I remain a skeptic concerning such hyperbole. Will gladly take an OLED before being forced to grab an inferior 4K LCD set. The impressions I've seen show that while 4K LCD looks grand, it isn't heads and shoulders above a 1080p OLED in every parameter.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinnie97  /t/1522674/will-4k-65-tvs-really-matter-when-viewed-from-10#post_24556334

Yea, I remain a skeptic concerning such hyperbole. Will gladly take an OLED before being forced to grab an inferior 4K LCD set. The impressions I've seen show that while 4K LCD looks grand, it isn't heads and shoulders above a 1080p OLED in every parameter.

I've never seen an OLED TV. I was simply stating that 4K in of itself is a big improvement in image quality. I'm sure OLED is too.

·
Banned
4,750 Posts
My Best Buy had a 4k set showing scenes from the recent Spider-Man movie and a LG OLED playing Avatar. The 4k set looked dull and washed out. The OLED looked great. Both were under 'Magnolia' lighting. Both are also way too expensive right now. But at least the OLED looks good...

·
Registered
887 Posts
Last year I went to the Sony store in Houston to look at the new 4K tech on their 84" TV. I walked in the store and walked right past the display because they were obviously playing a 1080P demo on it. I looked around for the one showing the 4K demo but didn't see it. I circled back around and got about 4 feet from the screen. I then realized it was 4K resolution. Very impressive at a very close range. But at normal viewing distances I could not see much difference at all. I have 20/20 vision and thought the jump from SD to HD was HUGE. But from HD to UHD? Not so much. The only advantage I can see to it would be using a home theather projector, and a screen much bigger and seating distance much closer than they normally reccommend

A 150" screen at 10 feet would really showcase 4K very nicely.

·
Registered
2,903 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidHorn  /t/1522674/will-4k-65-tvs-really-matter-when-viewed-from-10#post_24555836

My experience is this is way off the mark. At least on some 4K TVs. You'll notice a huge improvement on screen sizes much smaller than 110" at 10'.

I believe many are equating the improvement to other factors. I believe if you look at it from a resolution exercise the I bet if you but 2 identical pictures up calibrated identically I think there would be no difference. I think some o f the issues are the 4K sets are being fed content to really show them off, that has more dynamic range and contrast to make it appear more visually appealing. The manufacturers understand the science of human vision and then perception and use that to make their sets appear visually better than a 1080P set.

·
Registered
6,045 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluken  /t/1522674/will-4k-65-tvs-really-matter-when-viewed-from-10#post_24568159

I believe many are equating the improvement to other factors. I believe if you look at it from a resolution exercise the I bet if you but 2 identical pictures up calibrated identically I think there would be no difference. I think some o f the issues are the 4K sets are being fed content to really show them off, that has more dynamic range and contrast to make it appear more visually appealing. The manufacturers understand the science of human vision and then perception and use that to make their sets appear visually better than a 1080P set.

Maybe so, but at a minimum there is a 4k TV that has the capability of displaying a far superior image to anything I've seen on a 1080p TV at every reasonable viewing distance.

·
Registered
4,849 Posts
4K if it is LCD still sucks! The increase in resolution will not make up for all of LCD's shortcomings.

4K OLED MIGHT be great but you still need it in large sizes--84 inches should be the bare minimum but 110 inches and above is optimum.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.