AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I am switching from Time Warner to DirecTV so that I can recieve HDNet. I would like to know if the RCA 18"x24" 2-dual LNB dish will suffice for my family. Here is what I need:

1. My dad will has a standard def tv and he already bought a regular Hughes directv reciever.

2. The gameroom has a standard def set and we also bought a regular directv reciever for it.

3. I have an HDTV and I will most likely purchase the Hughes OTA/Directv HDTV reciever($527) coupled with the aforementioned RCA 2-dual LNB dish.

Simple question. Will this dish serve those 2 standard def recievers and my HDTV reciever at the same time? Thank you very much.

P.S. I would also like to purchase a Channelmaster antenna to recieve the OTA DTV stations here in Houston. How will I go about running that RG-6 cable from the antenna into the 2-dual LNB dish? Thank you.

------------------
ADebars>
Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTVs>
JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Players>
General Instruments HDD-200 HDTV Decoders>
Time Warner - Houston HD Services>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Premium Member
7,158 Posts
Despite crow eating on Sopranos, here goes....

8900 switch typically bundled with elliptical dish (check) supports 4 receivers.

Also make sure switch supports outdoor installation (check) if you only want to run 3 lines inside (not much difference on number of lines, may just want to run 4 inside).

You can get an different switch that diplexes the OTA into the switch or pair up diplexing in OTA after the switch and breaking antenna out again at reciever. Some folks will tell you not to diplex, but with higher quality units ($20 at Radio Shack) I have had no problems.

Hope this helps,

Tim

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. It is the 8900 that I'm going to buy. Does anyone else have any input?

------------------
ADebars>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
750 Posts
ADebar,

I have a similar setup to what you're contemplating:

1 Elliptical dish (came with the 4x4 multiswitch)

2 RCA 4220? regular DirecTV receivers

1 Toshiba (Hughes) HDTV receiver

Antenna for OTA

I have actually run a separate line of RG-6 from my antenna in the attic to my HDTV receiver only. But, as posted above, I could have diplexed in the antenna (somewhere after the multiswitch) and then diplexed out the antenna at the HDTV receiver. I just happened to have run two sets of RG-6 in that wall, so I didn't bother. Some say this is best anyway, but I expect the diplexing would work.

Enjoy DirecTV and HDNet! Make sure to sign up for HBO so that you can get the Sopranos in HD http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/wink.gif .

------------------

-Jason

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Tim covered it well. I would only say I have heard about many diplexer problems and chose to run a seperate coax for the VHF/UHF. But as he says, many people use diplexers and have no problems.

Another option is a multiswitch that will accept not only the two dual LNB inputs, but also VHF/VHF. They can send the sat & antenna signal to multple locations. Check www.copperbox.com for details: http://www.copperbox.com/lite/popinf...neek=239324017

Good Luck with your project.

------------------

"Better living thru modern, expensive electronics devices"

tm

[This message has been edited by Ken H (edited 09-06-2001).]

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you very much for the input. I think what you suggested is the 2nd pic on this website.

that product you linked me to was $300! ouch that is gonna hurt. thanks again.

------------------
ADebars>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
49 Posts
great to hear ADebar....you must have resolved your past dish installations problems with the local homeowners association!

------------------

Larry

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i've decided to save a lil money and go the diplexing route. i hope it works.

------------------
ADebars>
My DVDs - DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.