AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am close to purchasing a 7UY. I would very much prefer to attach it to the wall over my fireplace.


I put one of those indoor / outdoor electronic temperature probes in the spot where the screen would be and it registered a high temp of 115 degrees. The 7UY specs say a high operating temp of 104.


The highest temp would clearly be right at the bottom of the panel, right where the rising heat would hit it, which I feel would be different than the panel operating in a room where the temp was 115.


Do you think the molding of the screen would absorb / dissipate enough heat so that the internal temp would stay below 104?


What if I installed a home made heat shield below the unit? Possibly a piece of metal the same width and depth and color as the monitor and attached via a non-conductive join. Would that do the trick?


Maybe I am just reaching here, if so please keep the flames to a minimum. (non pun intended) I just really want this panel to go there.


Any help, especially first hand knowledge experience with something like this, is extremely appreciated.


Thanks.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
767 Posts
Sound way too dangerous to me. It may work but I don't think it will last. Heat is the killer of all electronics as well as moisture. Can you custom build a heat shield in the fire place instead. Some pictures may help. I am pretty sure with the number of experts in this forum, there got to be a solution.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
Is there a mantel? There are some products that are great for use as a heat shield, but would require some type of finishing as they're not exactly great looking. Some products are the cement-based boards like Durock or Wonderboard which are sometimes used behind wood stoves as a heat shield. They also make fire-resistant drywall but I'm not sure how well that would work in this case.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
467 Posts
Check out your local home improvement stores and fireplace stores. There are heat deflectors that may help, placed on the top inside of fireplace and sticks out abit, like:


_____

_____|
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,224 Posts
The 104 degree spec is the upper limit. While it doesn't melt per se, the panel life is decreased if operated at or above that limit for any length of time, even a couple of hours.


The panel itself should not be allowed to become physically warmer than 104 degrees even when powered off. Defects from overheating do not appear immediately. They show themselves as pink or blue splotches usually in the center of the screen some weeks or months atfer the overheating incident.


T. Wiz
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top