AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have two replay 4504s connected to a home network by a 10baset hub that gets it's internet from a cable modem and a airport base station that distributes the IPs over the wired and wireless networks.

When watching a show shared through the network by another replay I get the video temporarily not available message all the time making it painful to watch. Oddly enough I do not get this problem when watching a show streamed to my computer through DV archive (I'm guessing because DV archive actually buffers it when you hit pause).

Out of my ignorance about hubs, routers and networks my main questions are...

1. Is the speed limited by my internet connection speed or by the hub speed?

2. Would a 100 baseT hub or router make a difference?

3. What is the difference between a hub and a router?

4. Ultimately, how do I fix this?

All help much appreciated.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Go out and get yourself a 100bT switch (they cost about $60) and your problem will likely be solved. Your little 10bT hub has about the same bandwidth as a wireless connection.

My understanding of the hardware is this:

A hub sends any packets it recieves to all devices on the network. A switch is able to decide which device is supposed to be getting the packet and sends the appropriate packets to only that device. A router allows computers on a network to see a wider area network such as the Internet. It can assign (via dhcp) IP addresses to devices. It can also look up IP addresses that you have assigned via a table to determine that it can route information to your device. A router is kind of like a switch or hub on steroids.

·
Registered
93 Posts
A) You need at least a switch. Hubs are half-duplex meaning only 1 side can "Talk" at a time. This is, in fact, the same speed as a 10 Mbit wireless connection as they are half-duplex too.

B) If you actually have a switch, try swapping out the cables that are connecting your rtv's to it. I had a serious video problem after wiring my house with cat 5, I was worried I might have a bad run but decided to do some testing. From a *nix computer, I did a ping -f against both of them and 1 showed 1% loss. I replaced the patch cable running from the 1% lossy RTV (4504) to the wall jack and voila! Everything's great now.

C) If you have to buy something go ahead and go 100 Mbit switched.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.