Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My setup is as follows:

Cable comes out of the wall and goes into a coax splitter.

One side of the Splitter goes:

(coax)-->Replay (RCA)-->VCR (RCA)-->TV (av 1 input)

The other side goes:

(coax)-->TV (main coax input)

The TV's third input carries the DVD.

I've done this so I can watch TV or a DVD while the Replay is recording or writing to the VCR. It works pretty well and I'm happy.

But TimeWarner just offered me a good deal on upgrading to Digital Cable, which will mean that I will have to use a Cable Box (which I have not had to use yet). How can I wire up my Digital Cable Box, Replay, VCR, DVD and TV so that, when Replay is recording, I can still watch live TV?

·
Registered
69 Posts
One way to do this is as follows:

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp +-[Cable Box]-----[REPLAY]--[TV Video 1]

Wall-|&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp^[IRBlaster]---'

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp+----------------------------[TV RF in]

&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp&nbsp[DVD Player]---------------[TV Video 2]

The Replay controls the Cable box, the cable box is dedicated to the replay. I know this means you're limited on watching the extended/digital cable channels directly, but the cable box needs to be dedicated to the replay if you want to be sure the replay has control when it needs to record. :)

Vern

PS: Man ASCII art is hard when they strip leading spaces...

·
Registered
69 Posts
BTW The link between the Replay and the Cable box should be whatever the highest resolution both units support. In my home setup, I use SVHS out from the cable box to the replay:

wall---[Cable Box]----[Replay]----[TV Video in]

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
The way I did it, and and the simplest way I can put it would be to put the cable box in between the cable splitter and the Replay and hook the IR blaster up so the Replay can change channels on the cable box when it needs to. So the Replay is the only thing that is actually viewing digital cable, the rest just get the same old channels they had before (2-99).

Then you can record the higher channels on the Replay while you are watching one of the lower channels on live tv, or recording something on the vcr.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I figured that that sort of thing would be the solution. Not perfect, but it will do, I suppose.

One question that I'm embarassed to ask: What is "SVHS"?

The only thing I can add to your solutions is that I'd like - if possible - to run both "feeds" into the VCR so that I can record to tape from either high channels (through the Replay) or low channels.

I can do this with another splitter (running the opposite direction), can't I?

·
Registered
6,497 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Ilusion

PS: Man ASCII art is hard when they strip leading spaces...
Make it easy on yourself,

Code tags
Code:
Code:
text           space     text
allow you to preserve spacing.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Not to complicate things but you may also want to send a branch of the cable from the wall to the ReplayTV. So you would have the cable box on Input 1 and another cable from the wall to the RF on the ReplayTV. Set up both inputs when configuring the ReplayTV. You'll get two sets of channels, one of those will start at 1000. This would let you watch something on digital cable while you recorded something on standard cable. Hope this helps.

John

·
Registered
69 Posts
Thanx for the CODE tip. Makes things much easier, I tried the
Code:
tag, but it didn't like that one.. :)

Code:
[CODE]|          +----   
W |          |
A |----|
[/CODE]

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by MisterD
The only thing I can add to your solutions is that I'd like - if possible - to run both "feeds" into the VCR so that I can record to tape from either high channels (through the Replay) or low channels.

I can do this with another splitter (running the opposite direction), can't I?
Cool! More ASCII art fun! :D

Code:
Code:
Possibility #1
  |          +------[Cable Box]----[Replay TV]------[TV SVIDEO input]
W |          |                                           ]-------[TV Audio In]
A |----|

·
Registered
826 Posts
My solution is very similar to Ilusions, with this exception: at the point that he has the Replay, I've got a cheap low level SVideo splitter/amplifier. This takes the SVideo feed from the Cable Box and distributes it to my RePlay, to my DVD Recorder and to my S-VHS Tape Machine.

I also use a three way splitter from the wall, instead of a two way, so that I can direct tune the analog channels on the DVD Recorder. That way If the Replay is recording a digital channel, I can record an analog channel on the Recorder, and watch yet another on the TV.

Each separate device sends audio to the audio receiver.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ilusion, it looks like your Solution #2 is the way to go... except I don't know if I can run two different inputs into my VCR.

:slaps head"

Yes I can! :cool:

It will take me a while to assemble the parts and cables (and to make sure that I understand your diagram!), but I think that your solution will be the one I (eventually) use.

Thanks, all, for your help!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.