AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may be a really dumb question, but I've tried searching for the answer, with no luck.


I have a Samsung LCD that has a QAM tuner. I have Standard Cable through Comcast but I currently do not have any type of digital cable box in my house - the Comcast cable from the wall plugs directly into the back of my Samsung TV. Because of the Sammy's QAM, I get some HD channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX) for free, which I love.


Up until now, I've never really needed a digital box, but recently, Comcast moved some channels from their "Standard Cable" package to their "Digital Starter" package, and I can no longer find these channels on my TV. Comcast is offering to upgrade our service to the "Digital Starter" package and give us a digital box (non-HD) for free for one year, but my question is, will a digital box interfere in any way with my current HD QAM channels? A free box sounds nice, but more importantly, I don't want to lose my free HD.
If I add the digital box to my TV, will the QAM channels still be there?


Again, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just don't have any experience with Comcast's digital boxes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiX /forum/post/14309463


I get some HD channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX) for free, which I love.]

You do realize that these are all available for free, over the air, right? Just stick an antenna on the QAM tuner and you'll still get these, and likely more.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,975 Posts
ShinobiX,

Shouldn't be a problem. Add a splitter, one lead to the TV (as it is now) and the other to the cable box. The cable box gets connected to the TV using composite,S-Video or component cable. You can then switch the TV's inputs to select the cable box or the direct feed. Obviously, a HD capable cable box would be simpler.



synovia,

Antenna/OTA uses 8VSB not QAM. A possible avenue, but not everyone wants an antenna.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiX /forum/post/14309463


will a digital box interfere in any way with my current HD QAM channels? A free box sounds nice, but more importantly, I don't want to lose my free HD.
If I add the digital box to my TV, will the QAM channels still be there?

Generally the cable company will pass along the locals (CBS affilate, etc.) in HD with all of their packages. An HD cable box will tune them like your QAM tuner will, although they'll probably be on a different channel (like up in the 400s or something.)


Some do use QAM or an antenna separately from the box (split off from the wall cable) to get the HD locals as they report it being slightly better picture, but that's totally a case by case basis.


Quote:
Originally Posted by synovia /forum/post/14309684


You do realize that these are all available for free, over the air, right? Just stick an antenna on the QAM tuner and you'll still get these, and likely more.

That depends on his area. Some places can't get a clear OTA signal because of hills or trees or whatever.


And an antenna will use the TV's ATSC tuner, not the QAM, although the input is likely the same.




edit: Or everything Ratman said.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,565 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by synovia /forum/post/14309684


You do realize that these are all available for free, over the air, right? Just stick an antenna on the QAM tuner and you'll still get these, and likely more.

In my area an antenna will pick up a total of 3 HD channels and 2 non HD channels. So depending on location they may not be available for free and if they were you would not use the QAM tuner for over the air. You would use the ATSC tuner.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
191 Posts
I would just connect the cable box to the TV via HDMI/component/S-video/composite, which would leave the antenna input on the TV free for over-the-air channels (assuming you can get good reception on those in your area).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts
It will not "interfere" with your current QAM reception. However, as you are aware, the box you are receiving will not to HD, so you will have to continue to use the direct connection to get the HD channels. In other words, I do not believe QAM will pass through the box. I'm positive it won't since it did not at my mothers house. I had to add a splitter for her TV.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,909 Posts
If you choose to go with the non HD STB, I would split the signal and feed the antenna input with one leg and use the composite or s output from the STB to feed the TV.


Or find out what they will charge for an HD STB and just use that.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,975 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinjohn /forum/post/15414550


What is a non-HD digital cable box used for?

To receive digital cable when HD is not a requirement. (I.E... you don't have an HD capable TV)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
435 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smilinjohn /forum/post/15414550


RC, what is an STB? (Set Top Box)


What is a non-HD digital cable box used for?


Obviously I'm a beginner.


John


Digital cable is the same stuff, but the transport to get the signal to your house is digital. Plus the digital box has a menu system with a tv guide that you can view statically. You can look at the channel and time you want at any time. As opposed to analog which typically has some channel like 99 where the schedule scrolls constantly by.


HD is only available after you have digital. There is no HD for analog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiX /forum/post/14309463


This may be a really dumb question, but I've tried searching for the answer, with no luck.


I have a Samsung LCD that has a QAM tuner. I have Standard Cable through Comcast but I currently do not have any type of digital cable box in my house - the Comcast cable from the wall plugs directly into the back of my Samsung TV. Because of the Sammy's QAM, I get some HD channels (ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX) for free, which I love.


Up until now, I've never really needed a digital box, but recently, Comcast moved some channels from their "Standard Cable" package to their "Digital Starter" package, and I can no longer find these channels on my TV. Comcast is offering to upgrade our service to the "Digital Starter" package and give us a digital box (non-HD) for free for one year, but my question is, will a digital box interfere in any way with my current HD QAM channels? A free box sounds nice, but more importantly, I don't want to lose my free HD.
If I add the digital box to my TV, will the QAM channels still be there?


Again, sorry if this is a dumb question, but I just don't have any experience with Comcast's digital boxes.

Try to periodically re-scan the digital channels (with your TV's setup menu) after they are moved by Comcast to the digital channels from analog. They may have moved to a different DTV channel your TV can get. Unless they scramble the channel, it should be on the TV tuner somewhere. Otherwise the free STB for a year is a good deal and you will get used to it. I have Comcast and got the HD STB then upgraded to the PVR HD STB later but I pay out the nose for renting 2 boxes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,569 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCbridge /forum/post/15385570


If you choose to go with the non HD STB, I would split the signal and feed the antenna input with one leg and use the composite or s output from the STB to feed the TV.

I always hate splitting the signal because of signal degradation. The cable guy split the cable once in my apartment so I can also have internet and I regret having him do so. Because of that split, I get pixelation on my cable sometimes.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
21,975 Posts
Call the cable guy... they can fix that problem.

Millions of people and cableco's use splitters with no problems whatsoever.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts
based on my experiment, the non-HD digital cable box from Comcast ends up blocking QAM HD channels. unfortunately this non-HD digital cable box ONLY has coax in and coax out. So they've effectively blocked QAM HD channels by migrating their non-HD premium channels to digital and requiring this box.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,938 Posts
Put a splitter between the wall and the cable box. Run one end into the box and the other direct to the TV so it can use the QAM tuner. Do a scan and you should get your HD channels back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulpa /forum/post/17831190


Put a splitter between the wall and the cable box. Run one end into the box and the other direct to the TV so it can use the QAM tuner. Do a scan and you should get your HD channels back.

thanks! but since the HDTV only has one coax in, i'll need to be able to switch coax inputs between the cable box out and the QAM feed. i would suspect that i need something like this?

http://www.amazon.com/Parts-Express-...2421363&sr=8-1


thanks in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
198 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by triple_vee /forum/post/17830977


based on my experiment, the non-HD digital cable box from Comcast ends up blocking QAM HD channels. unfortunately this non-HD digital cable box ONLY has coax in and coax out. So they've effectively blocked QAM HD channels by migrating their non-HD premium channels to digital and requiring this box.

Sounds like you have a Comcast Pace DTA box (I could be wrong)......why not disconnect the box and use your HDTV's QAM tuner to pickup all the channels......
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,909 Posts
If your free STB (set top box) only has RF in and out it is a DTA.

Yes this will not allow you to display HD signals.

A few things to consider:

You can split the incoming signal feed one to the DTA and the other to an RF A/B switch

take the output of the DTA and feed the other leg of the A/B switch.


You coud again split the signal feed one to the DTA and take the output of the DTA and feed it to a VCR or DVD recorder and then use S or composite video to your display.


Another option just rent a box from cable-co.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,938 Posts
Yeah, hook up the TV direct to the cable. Run a scan and see what you get. Just because they say you need the box doesn't make it true. That line is often for those with older analog tuning TVs, which do need a DTA or cable box.


If the HDTV's tuner doesn't pick up the channels you want, look into getting an HD cable box from your cable company. Shouldn't be more than $10 a month, if that. If it's your only box, you might get it for free. Check your cableco's pricing charts.
 
1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Top