AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new Yamaha 863 says that it will take signals passed through the receivers hdmi and upscale it to 1080p. If I hook up a hd direct tv receiver to the yamaha I know I will get 1080 from hd channels but will it upconvert the non hd channels to 1080 as well? I hope I said this correcctly . This syuff is all new to me.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you have a 1080p panel tv, it already converts the D signal to 1080p assuming you clicked 1080i on the D receiver for resolution and no other resolutions and you are using the hdmi out/in. SD pictures converted on a large screen are not the best. You see all of the flaws a,d uou still have bars on each side.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Depends on whether you feed it analog or digital. It definitely cannot convert HDMI to 1080p. It probably converts at 480 analog to 1080p. Given that you own the receiver, you should be able to find out what it does by using your TVs signal info feature.

·
Registered
75 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelJHuman /forum/post/15572926

Depends on whether you feed it analog or digital. It definitely cannot convert HDMI to 1080p. .

WHy do you say that? He reported in the Owners Manual it says it does that. I have an HK AVR 354 and it does the upconvert to 1080p on HDMI and it makes my DirecTv look nearly as good as Blu-ray on my Samsung LCD.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts
Huh?

Since when can the 863 convert HDMI to 1080p? He said this? He just said it could convert to 1080p. That does not imply it can convert HDMI signals to 1080p. I am %99.9 it cannot convert HDMI, only analog. This is a very common limitation on current receivers. It will obviously become more standard for receivers to also handle video processing of HDMI inputs in the future though.

Prove me wrong!

·
Premium Member
93,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capn jack /forum/post/15577387

WHy do you say that? He reported in the Owners Manual it says it does that. I have an HK AVR 354 and it does the upconvert to 1080p on HDMI and it makes my DirecTv look nearly as good as Blu-ray on my Samsung LCD.

MichaelJHuman is correct. According to both of your respective Owner's Manuals, neither the HK AVR 354 nor the Yamaha 863 upscales HDMI video, rather they can only upscale analog video to 1080p.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts