AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

· Registered
711 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Something I'm just wondering.

· Registered
157 Posts
it will sound better than poor receiver however. But you will be limited to what the speakers can dish out. What I come to realize in the world of Hifi is that you cannot really skimp on one area and hoping that the other area will make up for that "hole". They all need be quality components to output good sound.

· Premium Member
4,525 Posts
nope.

· Registered
196 Posts
Unlikely. If you have an offsetting distortion, it can actually seem to improve matters. It's not exactly uncommon for folks around here to suggest using certain amps with certain speakers due to this very effect. However if the speakers are truely poor, the upstream components will not be able to overcome the full range of deficiency. Expect it only to get worse.

· Registered
208 Posts
Big Time. Speakers only recreate from the signal they receive. My experience has been, you would be suprised what speakers are capable of when given a quality input. To me it's like water in the stream, if you dirty it up upstream, it's dirty downstream.

· Premium Member
4,525 Posts
I think you belong to a very small minority bhaaf.

Speakers are the most important factor followed by room acoustics (some will say room acoustics is even more important) and then electronics provided you have decent electronics to begin with and not a walmart durabrand receiver.

Regards

· Registered
2,783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJ25 /forum/post/0

Something I'm just wondering.

They will only sound better if "Monster Cable" is used.

· Registered
1,498 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaaf /forum/post/0

Big Time. Speakers only recreate from the signal they receive. My experience has been, you would be suprised what speakers are capable of when given a quality input. To me it's like water in the stream, if you dirty it up upstream, it's dirty downstream.

Your speakers were probably decent to begin with, but you originally had crappy electronics so the speakers sounded crappy. When you added good electronics it brought out the good sound the speakers were already capable of.

· Premium Member
4,525 Posts
Hooking up a hd-dvd player to a 9" black and white tv is not going to make things much better....

· Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Gabriel Gerena /forum/post/0

Hooking up a hd-dvd player to a 9" black and white tv is not going to make things much better....

and I thought they (9" black and white tv) were the only display device capable of deep color (HDMI 1.3 feature) ...

· Registered
167 Posts
think of the receiver being a Suit and Speakers the Shoes. A nice pair of dress shoes that are polished with make a cheap suit look better, where a really expensive suit with unpolished cheap shoes will make the suit look like crap.

· Registered
208 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdmi4ever /forum/post/0

Your speakers were probably decent to begin with, but you originally had crappy electronics so the speakers sounded crappy. When you added good electronics it brought out the good sound the speakers were already capable of.

A lot of people keep upgrading their speakers over and over again and never hear what their speakers are capable of. I was amazed when I switched out my Sony CD Player to a Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1. I got even better better when the Pre Amp was replaced and when the Krell FPB 250 mono's were set up it was beautiful. When my Thiel CS6's went in for repair I hauled out my 35 year old Infinity 2000A's and after having the woofers reedged I was blown away how well they would play, they never sounded like that before. I have a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce Sigs and a pair of 3A Sigs and I wouldn't know how they compare without a good foundation for them. When I hook these speakers into my other system which is an Arcam AVP700 with a Anthem MCA50, you'll notice the difference and it's not minor. Try it, you might be suprised. Yhea, I buy good speaker wire and inter connects also.

· Registered
2,783 Posts
I still say if you use "Monster Cable" anything will sound better. Even that Black & White TV & Marantz Gold receiver. LOL

· Banned
20,735 Posts

Quote:

I am always bothered by this thinking. Electronics are far less influential on the system sound than the room and the speakers which are BY FAR the most important components in a system. The amount of change that will occur by changing electronics is relatively minimal. The amount of change that will occur by changing speakers is extremely significant. It really is not a stream metaphor at all.

· Registered
4,854 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/0

I am always bothered by this thinking. Electronics are far less influential on the system sound than the room and the speakers which are BY FAR the most important components in a system. The amount of change that will occur by changing electronics is relatively minimal. The amount of change that will occur by changing speakers is extremely significant. It really is not a stream metaphor at all.

100% agreement with Chris here.

· Registered
1,366 Posts

Quote:

A lot of people keep upgrading their speakers over and over again and never hear what their speakers are capable of. I was amazed when I switched out my Sony CD Player to a Sonic Frontiers SFCD-1. I got even better better when the Pre Amp was replaced and when the Krell FPB 250 mono's were set up it was beautiful. When my Thiel CS6's went in for repair I hauled out my 35 year old Infinity 2000A's and after having the woofers reedged I was blown away how well they would play, they never sounded like that before. I have a pair of Vandersteen 2Ce Sigs and a pair of 3A Sigs and I wouldn't know how they compare without a good foundation for them. When I hook these speakers into my other system which is an Arcam AVP700 with a Anthem MCA50, you'll notice the difference and it's not minor. Try it, you might be suprised. Yhea, I buy good speaker wire and inter connects also.

Just curious...since the OP is trying to determine if good electronics can make poor sounding speakers sound descent, which of your speakers do you consider poor, the Thiel CS6's, Vandersteen 2Ce or 3A Sigs, or the Infinity 2000A's?

Could it be that your situation is based on making nice sounding speakers even better sounding insetad of what the OP is asking?

· Registered
352 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWiggles /forum/post/0

The Audio Critic is quite blunt on this matter:

Quote:
The loudspeaker will determine how your music system sounds. Not the amplifier, not the preamplifier, not the CD or DVD player, nothing but the loudspeaker. Speakers, even the finest, are far less accurate in terms of output compared to input than any of those other components. The speaker will be invariably the weakest link in the chain, the link that limits the quality of sound reproduction.

I am always cynically amused when an audiophile brings home a shiny new amplifier in his hot little hands, breathlessly connects it to the dinky little box speakers anything larger than which his spouse won't allow, and turns on the music. The sound is exactly the same as it was before with his older, cheaper, less fancy amplifier, but of course he will not admit it. If he had spent his money on better loudspeakers instead, the improvement in sound would have been inarguable.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.