AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...play nice with 2 Hauppauge 1600's already installed?

I would like to be able to record 4 OTA ATSC programs (occasionally) on one system. AMD FX2 CPU 2.5GHz. 2GB 667 RAM. W7 Home Premium 32-bit running MC.

My systems have one free PCI-E x1 slot.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18263321

Why not a Avermedia Duet? 1/2 the price and will record 2 ATSC signals.

Just thought it might be better to stay with the same brand. Not sure why, probably a different driver anyway. I only have only one free PCI-e slot in my mother boards so I can't use a pair of the Duets to get four channels. I'm hoping someone can report from personal experience. My systems are pretty much rock solid but I have four running. I could cut it down to two if I could get reliable four channel recording. Thanks for the suggestion.

·
Registered
4,696 Posts
Considering the 1600 is a PCI card and the 2250 is a PCIe I'm about 99% sure the drivers will be different. For OTA you're tossing away $50 or so on analog tuners you will never use by getting the 2250 over the Duet. I've had both and currently use the duet, reception is better on a difficult channel. The duet wasn't out yet when I bought the 2250.

I'd really like to see Micro ATX boards with one PCI and 2 PCIe slots. PCI is becoming obsolete, WHY 2 PCI's and one PCIe on most motherboards?

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech571 /forum/post/18264568

Considering the 1600 is a PCI card and the 2250 is a PCIe I'm about 99% sure the drivers will be different. For OTA you're tossing away $50 or so on analog tuners you will never use by getting the 2250 over the Duet. I've had both and currently use the duet, reception is better on a difficult channel. The duet wasn't out yet when I bought the 2250.

I'd really like to see Micro ATX boards with one PCI and 2 PCIe slots. PCI is becoming obsolete, WHY 2 PCI's and one PCIe on most motherboards?

Good question.

I have three systems with NVIDIA 9400 cards. These work great for media center. I had a lot of trouble with stuttering and HDMI sound with various ATI cards a couple of years back. Settled in on the 9400 cards. But my fourth system has an ATI HD3200 IGP on a uATX MSI Mobo. It plays mc recordings stutter free! As does my wife's HP notebook with HD4200 graphics.

If I could find a uATX mobo that has an IGP that works (for mc) I would probably pop for it/them and use a pair of dual tuner cards. Like the avermedia. I honestly don't know why the HD3200 IGP works but it does.

There are plenty of horror stories in the reviews at Newegg on ALL of the tuners. But I'm happy with the performance and reliability of the 1600. I just can't put four in one machine. I did have some lost tuner issues with vista mc early on but driver updates seem to solve them.

Take care.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts