AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought the Maxent HDTV monitor from costco and it has no built in tuners. I am wondering whether a HDTV tuner will also take care of NTSC signals?

·
Registered
22,264 Posts
Most do... some don't. You'll have to look carefully at the specs before purchase.

·
Premium Member
7,093 Posts
Most people have an old VCR around that can be used for NTSC if need be.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman
Most do... some don't. You'll have to look carefully at the specs before purchase.
My experience is the opposite, HDTV tuners tend to do digital transmissions only.

·
Registered
22,264 Posts
Then we disagree...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Better yet...any to recommend that does NTSC/ATSC for ~$300? DVR HDTV tuner that works w/ comcast cable out there??

·
Registered
22,264 Posts
If you want DVR and Comcast digital cable.. your best bet is to rent one from Comcast.

If you want one for NTSC/ATSC for OTA... then refer to post #2.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
If you want DVR and Comcast digital cable.. your best bet is to rent one from Comcast.

If you want one for NTSC/ATSC for OTA... then refer to post #2.
probably the latter. If there are any that is recommended please respond. Thanks everyone

·
Registered
435 Posts
Check this thread for info on available OTA HDTV tuners. I have both an LG4200a and a Hisense USDTV; either would do what you want. The LG can be had for around $300; Walmart sells the USDTV tuners for $200.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eben
I have both an LG4200a and a Hisense USDTV; either would do what you want.
The Hisense unit I have does not receive NTSC signals.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
The LG LST-4200A does what you want it to do. It receives BOTH ATSC and NTSC from cable and/or OTA.

The nice thing about this unit is that it makes a map of BOTH(this is excellent for the cable) into ONE convient channel map. Not need to switch between NTSC and ATSC, which on some units you have too.

The only switching between maps that needs to be done is either if you want it set up for OTA ATSC/NTSC(TV/DTV) or Cable NTSC/Clear QAM(CATV/CADTV) channel maps.

This unit goes for $300. It can be found at www.********************* That is where I got mine. Nice and painless experience(which with alot of internet companies this is just not the case).

But hurry. They may NOT have any left(LG was discontinuing them) or if they do, there are few around. Another place to look would be EBay, but I would try the above website first.

·
Registered
22,264 Posts
Check out almost any older HD DirecTV STB's. Many will provide NTSC/ATSC OTA reception without activation.

The can sometimes be found as open box items at B&M stores or new/used from E-tailers and E-Bay.

·
Registered
796 Posts
Quote:
Check out almost any older HD DirecTV STB's. Many will provide NTSC/ATSC OTA reception without activation.

The can sometimes be found as open box items at B&M stores or new/used from E-tailers and E-Bay.
This is true, but some need to have the access card (doesn't have to be activated) to operate. My RCA DTC210 was like this. No access card, no OTA reception.

I think the LG/Sony/Zenith models have an option in the menu to do OTA only (without an access card), but you won't get a channel guide with out the satellite feed.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vman41
The Hisense unit I have does not receive NTSC signals.
Hmmm....Our USDTV unit is used primarily by my wife, and she just watches the digital channels, so you're probably right, but I swear when I did the initial setup it scanned the NTSC channels and then I removed them from the guide. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.