AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The general instruments hdd-200 STB that TWC provided does not even have a remote. no menu. no nothing. its pretty damn basic.

i want to know if the mits hd STB will work with TWC HD? something tells me that TWC has rigged something up that only their stb will work. thanks for any input.

------------------
ADebars>
Mitsubishi WT-46807 Widescreen HDTVs>
JVC XV-S65 Progressive Scan DVD Players>
General Instruments HDD-200 HDTV Decoders>
Time Warner - Houston HD Services>
DVD Profilers>

Danger! Danger! Danger!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Probably not. I believe they are using QAM (a cable compression scheme). Most of the tuners you would purchase (mits, sony, etc.) need the compression scheme to be 8VSB. Search the list, there are a lot of people using TWC HD service in Houston on this site and they can offer better insight on taking advantage of the TWC HD box. I'm surprised you can't use a remote with it, or the remote for your cable box doesn't work with it -- that just doesn't sound right.

·
Registered
7,061 Posts
No, for TW HD cable you MUST use their STB, as TW (except NY) transcodes the OTA 8VSB to 256 QAM.

You don't really think they'd put OTA 8vsb on the cable

where you could decode it for free with your own box, now do you?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I am currently a TWC customer with the DTV package. My HD box is supposedly on the way. I am currently using a Mits STB to get CBS and HBO off the TWC.

I am not sure if this is just a New York phenomena, but they are currently broadcasting a mix of 8VSB and QAM for us. When I get the new box, I'll receive SHO, FOX, and ABC which are QAM signals.

Good luck,

Burt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.