AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently received a Compaq MP3800 projector that a local organization discarded. It works pretty well for about ten minutes, and then shuts itself off, and is very hot.

I found the User's Guide online and from it's troubleshooting guide it seems the problem is either the fan or the lamp. I removed the lamp and turned the unit on and the fan seems to work properly, and doesn't seem to be blocked or dirty as I initially suspected it might be.

The manual seems to indicate the the projector will show a message when the lamp is nearing the end of it's life, which it is not doing. I'm guessing it does this based on how many lamp hours it has logged, and currently it has about 440. From what I've read this is somewhat low, as lamps can run for up to 2000 hours these days?

The manual also says that the power button will flash to indicate overheating or fan failure when the projector shuts itself off, but when it happens for me there is no flashing.

So, I think the problem might be the lamp, and I have found someone who is selling them for $165 of ebay. I would be willing to buy a new lamp if I knew for sure that the lamp was the problem. What else could it be? Do lamps usually get extremely hot when they reach the end of their lives?

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
It certainly sounds like a bad lamp. Lamps can work for several minutes and fail when they go bad. However you might want to avoid Ebay. Lamps typically have a 90 day warranty, which you might not have if you purchase from Ebay, so if you get a defective lamp you'll be out $165.00.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
You can get a new much better refurb projector for the cost of a non-ebay bulb for the Compaq.

Like this .

Plus you have no idea if the lamp is the problem. It could be an electrical problem or a problem with the fan.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I had a Compaq projector in my shop a couple of years ago with similar complaints. What I found in searching for a reason was that some Compaq models would get very dusty inside, enough to cover the main chip and cause it to overheat and shut down.

After I thoroughly cleaned the projector inside, it was fine. Whether that is your problem, I can't say, but I thought I would offer my experience for what its worth.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts