AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i know i'm setting myself up for a flame, but could a p1-a correction engine make mp3's sound nicer??

i know, -- a retarded question.

;P

·
Registered
799 Posts
Please correct me if I am wrong. I thought the P-1A works on PCM codes so unless your system 'converts' MP3 to PCM before reaching the DAC for you to fit the P1-A in you'll be out of luck.

PF

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahhhh, to be more correct, i convert the mp3 files on my computer, then burn to disc. --(does that help?) i appologize i don't have the technical jargon. :)

·
Registered
799 Posts
Sounds like it should work out okay provide you burn the music onto the disc in PCM (not MP3). Anyway give Steve or Russell a call & see if they can help you more esp if they also offer the same 30 day return guarantee on PT stuff.

PF

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wow! thanks guys!

can't wait to buy!!

just have to get done paying for sean's full diva set up! --- that's right, 6.1's in the front and rear! woohoo!

---ordering another amp soon!

-b

·
Registered
799 Posts
Brandon, do talk to the guys @ AV123 before you hook up the P-1A for it doesn't work with DD or DTS signals so if you are using a common transport (for PCM, DTS & DD) you may have to figure out a way to separate the PCM signal input into the P-1A while leaving out the others.

PF

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by codemarine
Zoo, forgive me for saying this, but putting your MP3s through a P-1A seems like buying putting cheap wine in an expensive glass.

--Steve
While I admit MP3 still doesn't sound like uncompressed PCM (lack of bass attack and depth, ringing artefacts in treble), there are some tricks which make MP3 enjoyable. These are :

- 24 bit decoding of the MP3 stream (probably never in a HW decoder)

- upsampling to 88.2 or 96 Khz (what the perpetual box could do)

This is all done in my PC with a special winamp plugin (MAD) and the m-audio 24/96 card set to 88.2 Khz output rate even though winamp will output 24/44.1 ! The whole setup is connected digitally via SP/DIF to my Tag Mc Laren av32r.

So :

Cheap wine : yes, cheap bottle not always and expensive glasses on an expensive table ...

·
Registered
799 Posts
Steve, I'm sure Brandon won't be using the P-1A exclusively on MP3 material. As others had tried & agreed that even your run of the mill CD transport when paired with the PT's can result in pretty astonishing improvements. :)

PF

·
Registered
404 Posts
ub4b,

You're doing that all on the fly with winamp right? Not writing to a wav or CD audio file. Do you think using Soundforge or any other editor to do this to an MP3 and then saving it down to a wav file would be better sounding than a straight mp3 -> wav?

·
Registered
146 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by El Pollo
ub4b,

You're doing that all on the fly with winamp right? Not writing to a wav or CD audio file. Do you think using Soundforge or any other editor to do this to an MP3 and then saving it down to a wav file would be better sounding than a straight mp3 -> wav?
Yes : realtime !

The only thing that doesn't work yet is 24/88.2 for CD-Audio : while sample rate convertion works on the fly (best when integer calculation, e.g. 48 Khz * 2 = 96 Khz) with the m-audio card under win2k SP2, the wordlength is based on the application, and I haven't found a way to dither 16 to 24 bits using somekind of winamp DSP plugin.

But using the cd reader plugin (not the standard cd/line-in plugin) I already got 16/88.2 . Compared to an external 24/192 upsampler the difference is marginal (tried an A/B with the music fidelity A3 !).

So I wonder how CD would sound when upsampled through Soundforge (not realtime) and then redo the A/B with the MF !

·
Registered
517 Posts
Since you already have the files on your PC, rather than trying to squeeze them out via your soundcard to the stereo, I'd suggest seriously considering the AudioTron.

http://www.audiotron.net

I have 2 of these, and about 12,000 MP3's on my server. All of my MP3's have been created at very high quality, using EAC & the LAME encoder (so much better than the mediocre MusicMatch).

For you skeptics who say a CD is better, I challenge you to let me encode a significant variety of songs, using LAME at a high bitrate. It is doubtful you'd pass a double-blind test. MP3's got a tarnished reputation with mediocre encoders, and when size was more of an issue, pundits tried to call 128-bit "CD quality". That gave it a bad rep since 128-bit is clearly not as good as a CD. But encoding at up to 320-bit (with a good encoder) will give you music you would probably go crazy over trying to discern from the real thing.

The AudioTron has analog out (not the best internal DAC) and digital optical. With an MP3 player in my car, my CD's are virtually unused (except in wife's car).

[edit]

Forgot to mention- if you have a broadband connection, the AudioTron can play internet radio stations as well. The latest beta firmware enables WMA streaming support, as well as the released firmware's Shoutcast support. That gives you access via your home stereo to many hundreds and hundreds of internet radio stations. I bought my 2nd one on e-bay for like $180.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks guys,

and no steve, i will be playing mostly all high rez c.d.'s.

---just thought it would be a nice add on to be able to throw mp3's in the mix!

thanks everyone for your help and guidance.

soon to be even happier!

-brandon

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.