Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a showstopper 2k. If I hook up a pc card to the ide cable will it be recognized?

Thanks,

Geoff

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by gpgma
...I have a showstopper 2k. If I hook up a pc card to the ide cable will it be recognized?
Very simply, nope I don't believe so. Not in the Showstopper. We can double check with jtl or FlipFlop. If you succeed in hacking the firmware to support something like this do let us know. : )

Now in the PeeCee, of course that's a different story... if you instead mean can you hook the Replay drive (and IDE cable) to a controller card?

·
Registered
6,207 Posts
PC card means PCMCIA, like laptop card? Are you talking about some PCMCIA hard drive? (Does such a thing exist?) Or something that would connect to the IDE controller and then to your laptop?

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by RandyL712
...some PCMCIA hard drive? (Does such a thing exist?)
Sure they exist but they are tiny (capacity) and won't go in the Showstopper without some IDE emulation/translation. The Showstopper has to be able to boot the OS from the IDE so whatever you put on there it has to be recognized by the firmware.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I think you'd be better off selling your Showstopper on Ebay and take the money you'd spend on this thing (which I doubt will actually work) and buy a 4000 or 5000 series Replay. With the newer models you can offload files to a computer over a network without touching the HD.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You could try this, I know it's not the same but if you want to experiment...

USB project

I guess the first test is to connect the Showstopper drive inside the enclosure, if you're able to see it in your PC you're in business. You could leave the drive inside the case or inside the Replay or get rid of the enclosure altogether and install inside a switch and the small USB controller.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
gpgma, I expect extract_rtv or RTVPatch will not recognize the drive. You'll be able to tell us. Best of luck.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.