AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Currently have a Denon 1712 from 4 years ago. Looking to upgrade to a product that offers MUCH better sound if there is such a thing for about $1000 or less. BB has this unit on sale, but I am open to ideas. I am aware that these are units from last year. I would consider a Denon X4000 as well. Do not want to spend the money and if not much of an upgrade would be audible. Anyone have these SC series. It seems like new units with newer features are about to hit the market but I do not know I should wait....

·
Registered
614 Posts
Have you see the vsx 1130 or vsx 90? No class D amps which make a nice difference, but both have atmos, wifi and bluetooth built in which the sc-81 and sc 82 do not have. Both the new vsx models are under your budget as well (600 and 700). Should be able to find the respective threads for those units to get some user opinions. But the next question is do you want to wait for the new DTS format......?

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Currently have a Denon 1712 from 4 years ago. Looking to upgrade to a product that offers MUCH better sound if there is such a thing for about $1000 or less. BB has this unit on sale, but I am open to ideas. I am aware that these are units from last year. I would consider a Denon X4000 as well. Do not want to spend the money and if not much of an upgrade would be audible. Anyone have these SC series. It seems like new units with newer features are about to hit the market but I do not know I should wait....
Upgrade how? What are you missing now?

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
Currently have a Denon 1712 from 4 years ago. Looking to upgrade to a product that offers MUCH better sound if there is such a thing for about $1000 or less..
There is no such thing. Choose your receiver based on the features you want and will use. Sound quality is in the speakers and room acoustics. It is possible that a different room calibration routine (different brand receiver) might produce marginally better sound but it isn't really a good reason to choose a receiver.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Upgrade how? What are you missing now?
I keep reading how XYZ receiver is such an upgrade over this other XYZ receiver. How one of top of the line unit sounds better than a mid level unit, etc, etc, etc.....

The 1712 was a low to mid range unit from 4 years ago. I am aware than when you purchase a top of the line unit from one of these mainstream companies, not only are you getting more bells and whittles as well as more power, but are you getting a "cleaner and more precise sound"..... Don't care about the features as much as I care about Clean sound. The DENON X4000 uses Xt32 and the Pioneer uses D amps. Would I get a better sound unit? The NAD T758 also sells for under $1000.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Like others mentioned! Better sound quality relies heavily on your speakers and room More than the avr.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I keep reading how XYZ receiver is such an upgrade over this other XYZ receiver. How one of top of the line unit sounds better than a mid level unit, etc, etc, etc.....

The 1712 was a low to mid range unit from 4 years ago. I am aware than when you purchase a top of the line unit from one of these mainstream companies, not only are you getting more bells and whittles as well as more power, but are you getting a "cleaner and more precise sound"..... Don't care about the features as much as I care about Clean sound. The DENON X4000 uses Xt32 and the Pioneer uses D amps. Would I get a better sound unit? The NAD T758 also sells for under $1000.
Therein lies the lie of home electronics. Nobody really gives a comparison. The sound on a basic level will probably be the same. Both upgraded AVR's will have more power, but you likely won't need it. They would have room correction, if you like that and if you have an odd room that might help.

There have been a lot of improvements over the last 4 years. If those benefit you, then you'd have a strong proposition. Otherwise, you likely won't hear much of a difference.

·
Registered
614 Posts
Your speakers are painted one way, your receiver another, and your ears preference another. Grab what sounds best

Also for power, last time I checked it takes 10x the power to double the decibels level. Does not mean more power is not something to look at, but your speakers, listening choices and out put choices ask come in to play.

I have an sc-1222 and love it, but am currently thinking of the vsx90. Less power, but better sub eq, features, and more precise mcacc mgmt.

So think about it this way, that new corvette you bought would not be an upgrade for a guy who needs a truck or mini van, but the bachelor would love it. But they all get you to the same place just not with the same purpose always.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I'd suggest looking at the specs and decide for yourself (I haven't checked) as such qualitative comparisons are a personal decision on many levels and there is much difference in individual interpretation. I'd look at the following for example, dac improvements and the level of room calibration. These will be important to some people in the pursuit of sound quality. More power helps in a high volume environment as well. YMMV.

I have a friend that recently upgraded from an SC-81 to the SC-87 and is happy with his choice. Better DAC and room calibration/correction, plus more power (he likes to listen to his system loud, reference level or more at times) and dolby atmos.

Music playback is a big part of his use fwiw.

I agree that receiver choice goes after speakers and (if so inclined) room. But when one is happy with speakers and isn't tinkering with the room, a quality receiver is worth it imo. I moved on to separates myself.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts