AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My only TV is in my living room and I want to replace it. There are 8 windows in the room.

Will I have issues with a plasma in this environment? I watch TV after dark about 4 to 6 months out of the year. I do currently have a Sony flat screen Trinitron CRT that is being replaced. I don't have any glare issues with the glass on the CRT TV.

I like plasma because of the viewing angles and lack of motion blur. I am looking at the TC-P42G10. I can't find a LCD TV right now that is close in quality for the same price.

·
Banned
145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfert /forum/post/18128265

My only TV is in my living room and I want to replace it. There are 8 windows in the room.

Will I have issues with a plasma in this environment? I watch TV after dark about 4 to 6 months out of the year. I do currently have a Sony flat screen Trinitron CRT that is being replaced. I don't have any glare issues with the glass on the CRT TV.

I like plasma because of the viewing angles and lack of motion blur. I am looking at the TC-P42G10. I can't find a LCD TV right now that is close in quality for the same price.

as long as you don't have direct light hittting on the TV (it appears that's not the case as your current TV would likely suffer) it sounds like you should be fine. If you can moderately control the lighting then even better.

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
If you can use a flatscreen direct-view CRT in the room, a plasma should also be usable IF you plan to locate it in the same spot and keep your seating where it is today.

I also had a Sony Trinitron, in my very bright family room, and I could only use it during the day by opening the cabinet doors 90 degrees and using these to screen reflections off the glass. When I tried a plasma with no doors it was glare city, so I ended up with a matte finish LCD panel. No glare screens required, no problems night or day.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The plasma will be in the same spot as the current CRT TV. In the rare cases I do get glare off the TV screen I just lower the window shades. The bigger issue is usually glare in my eyes due to the setting sun.

·
Banned
145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by belfert /forum/post/18128858

The plasma will be in the same spot as the current CRT TV. In the rare cases I do get glare off the TV screen I just lower the window shades. The bigger issue is usually glare in my eyes due to the setting sun.

well if you buy a new 3d TV then those 3d glasses will help with the sun shinning into your eyes.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Plasmas have reasonably high internal reflection which will spit back a lot of relfected light. LCDs don't reflect as much but since their backlights are on all the time during black images, they are noticeable in dark rooms.

If you watch mainly in the daytime, LCDs will look better.

If you watch mainly at night, turn down the lights and the plasma will look better.

I suppose you could draw the blinds.

·
Premium Member
2,782 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt L /forum/post/18132188

One of my plasmas is in a very well lit room, and it's a non-issue. If you don't have a problem now, you won't with a new panel.

Agreed, we have 2 plasmas in well lit environments - a Pio 110FD and a Pio 111FD - and neither one suffers from elevated black levels in direct light. I'd have to imagine that you'd have to have multiple directly illuminating a plasma to cause any serious glare issues. The 110FD actually replaced a Samsung LN-T4661 and I couldn't be happier.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.