AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a projector with a 9:16 aspect ratio instead of 16:9. I want to use it to display a map of an electrical distribution system. The area is 100 miles North to South and 50 miles West to East. Will a projector (LCD, DLP, or DILA) work reliably on its side? This will be a video output from a computer, so will I even be able to get the 16:9 ratio or will I have to use 4:3? I'm new at this so please be patient if my questions seem elementary.

Jeff

------------------

What would you do with a brain if you had one? --Judy Garland

·
Registered
5,211 Posts
rirst of all the question is on how to create the graphics. a high end graphic card will allow you to generate the reolution you want. lets say it is 1280 x 720. To do the creation you will have to work with the monitor on its side. and turn your head when ever you need to access the menus. THen you can take your image put it into the display... and put the device on its side. As the previous poster mentioned, ensure good ventilation. And you should also check with the manufacturer of the display device as they may have thought of this however... the left side has to be high (or vice versa) for airflow reasons.

·
Premium Member
25,516 Posts
Heat would be a problem if cooling was purely convective (no fan), I'd guess it would only be an issue if the environment is near the upper spec of the unit.

------------------

Noah

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Designing the graphics is no big deal all I have to do is rotate it 90 degrees. I talked to Barco about it and they weren't too keen on the idea of their rear projection units running on their side. I understand why, though, because everything is not designed to support loads at such an incline (is 90 degrees an incline? http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif ). I may have to use a 4:3 ratio, which wouldn't be too bad I guess.

Another option would be to use half the screen for the map and the other half for information or may TV http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif . Thanks for everyones help.

Jeff

------------------

·
Registered
4,129 Posts
Can you stretch the image horizontally by 33%? Then you could slap a Panamorph or ISCO in front of it on its side and compress it back.

Actually this request isn't so far from another adventure I may take in the future. Alan is investigating running two projectors. I would like to run three projectors rotated 90d (versus quadrants). Not that this is in my near future, but I had not even considered the heat issue.

Footnote: the "thirds" idea was read somewhere here at AVS.

------------------

The button is labeled "Play", not "Pay". STOP the MPAA!

Our Silent Angels

Please visit The Manny Page!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since I will be displaying a static image 24 hours a day, what type of projector should I get considering bulb life and burn in?

Jeff

------------------

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
I saw something interesting at Infocomm that may be helpful.

The Barco folks were running two projectors side by side so that the images meshed horizontally. This is different than "stacking"--where the two images register completely--and more like the old 3-panel Cinerama process. A single picture resulted.

Unlike Cinerama, the image was very good with no noticable edge at all where the two projectors blend together. They said that the software that cut the image into two was designed to allow the image to be tuned.

I have been daydreaming about using this for wide-screen presentations including 2.35.

You might be able to do this with two projectors adjusted so that the images were vertical instead of horizontal, to solve your problem.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Would be very leery due to heat issues - running it on the side.

You can of course project that image in 9:16 ratio, you just won't get quite as as many pixels.

------------------

Lex MC1/Sunfire CG/Hales Rev3's x3/M&K SS150 tripoles/Quadscan/Plus UP1100/Homemade screen

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Two projectors may work well, but can they handle 24 hours/day and mostly static images?I could stack two images and that would give me a 4:6 ratio, which would probably be good enough.

The image is not completely static. There are some dynamics to it. The display is of an electrical distribution system. If breakers operate, they will show up on the map. Also, the location of each of our trucks will be displayed on the map. (via GPS)

Jef

------------------

·
Registered
735 Posts
well I think the DILA is out the running for a couple of reasons.

a) the manual says do not use it on its side

b) 1000hrs of bulb life goes very quickly with 24hr use.

on the other hand, I remember reading a thread where they were using DILAs in an industrial use (something like disney...). Apparently everytime you turn on a DILA the bulb life shortens and so a 24x7 bulb should last much longer than 1000 hours.

·
Registered
133 Posts
bluedevils,

Technically your right for DILA. However Tom Sites had posted an answer about tilting DILA up and down. I believe he said that you could mount the projector pointing up or down, but you could not tilt it on its side. It something to do with the xeon lamp. Anyway I think you could mount the DILA pointing up/down and using a front surface mirror to make 90 degree shift.

------------------

Jim Nissen

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What type of projectors have the longest bulb life?

Jeff

------------------

·
Registered
260 Posts
Could you possibly split your map into North/South halves, then display them side-by side? That may be much easier than fighting the standard horizontal designs.

[This message has been edited by bbordner (edited 07-12-2001).]

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Splitting the map wouldn't work very well. It really needs to be a contiuous map to avoid any possible confusion.

Jeff

------------------

·
Registered
110 Posts
Why don't you check out the Infocus LP-350. No vents on the top or bottom. Air is forced thru the unit by fans, front to back. bulb life is rated at 2000 hours. New bulbs are fairly inexpensive for a projector. I think under $400.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Hi. I'm a Systems Analyst for the City of College Station. We have set up our Utility Dispatch room with 2 DLP Projectors. They are side by side hooked up to a dual monitor card. It works very well. They are projected on to two SmartBoards that allow the dispatchers to touch the screen and perform actions on our GIS system. You can barely tell the seem between them. You might could do the same but vertically.

If, however, you decide to turn the projector on its side there is a program just for that! Check out www.pivot.com . You just turn your display device on it's side and it flips the display to match.

Hope this helps.

Ryan

[This message has been edited by Ryan Pream (edited 07-16-2001).]

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.