AVS Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Onkyo HT S5300 system and I want to set my Ps3 on top of the sub woofer unit. I was wondering if this is okay to do because I am worried that the shaking of the sub or the magnets in it will harm the Ps3. Thanks for any advice you can give.

·
Registered
331 Posts
The vibrations could cause the laser to get bumped and, over time, scratched to the point of not being able to read discs. XBOX was a lot more susceptible to disc related damage but the PS3's not immune.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I would not put a PS3 anywhere near a subwoofer. The magnets in the subwoofer alone could wipe out the hard drive (which uses magnetic heads and fields to write to the drive). But even if the magnetic field is not strong enough, the vibrations from the sub could cause the magnetic head of the hard drive to scratch the disk thus, again, ruining the hard drive. Not to mention the laser which the above poster mentioned. Plus, the laser may have a hard time reading a disk with all the vibrations. Since it sounds like the subwoofer is part of a HTIB probably makes it even worse as the subwoofer is not made with thick MDF to reduce vibrations. Just get a stand or put it on the ground, otherwise, you're gonna have a $300 paperweight.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrkazador
Hard drive themselves have very powerful rare earth magnets millimeters away from the platter. I doubt a subwoofer magnet could do any damage.
If you feel strongly about that, I'd suggest you put your laptop close to a subwoofer for a while and see what happens. Hard drives use a magnetic head to set the magnetic field for each bit as the head swings by each bit. With the current hard drives these days, these bits are so tiny that even a slight change in the magnetic field could cause data loss. I'm not saying the hard drive will be damaged but the data would be corrupted and that could brick your PS3. Even if the magnetic field from the subwoofer doesn't cause damage to the PS3, the simple vibrations could cause the head to scratch the surface of the disk and that would cause permanent damage. Why risk any of this when you don't have to?

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
On a PS3 I would be more concerned about the vibration than the magnetic interference from a sub.

Mrkazador is correct about the magnets in a hard drive, they are dangerously strong.

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chashint /forum/post/19611667

On a PS3 I would be more concerned about the vibration than the magnetic interference from a sub.

Mrkazador is correct about the magnets in a hard drive, they are dangerously strong.

Online research suggests this is right.

As for the vibrations in a sub causing issues with the optical "head" all I know is that I have had CDs skip in a car after hitting a bump. The vibrations on top of a sub seem milder though. In fact, a quality subwoofer cabinet is designed to be non resonant.

IMO, the worst vibrations from a subwoofer are not at the sub, but at various places in a room depending on standing waves, and in objects that will resonate at low frequencies.

So while I would not suggest placing a PS3 on top of a subwoofer, I would also be willing to bet some $$$ that nothing bad would happen. No, you may not sue me if I am wrong. Caveat Emptor, so to speak

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the input. It sounds like the general consensus is not do to it, which is what I was thinking before anyway, I was just look for some more input.

So thanks again.

·
216dB Shockwave of pain
2,027 Posts
I have had a PS3 on one sub and an Xbox on the other for over a year without a single problem. I run my system at least 10 hours a day, 7 days a week. Just get some dense foam to place under the PS3. I bought some vibration isolation foam at a local Music Equipment Store.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.