AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Marantz CC4300 5 disc changer as my CD source (because my wife insisted on a 5 disc changer). I would like to improve the sound quality of the CD player if possible by adding a seperate DAC (such as the Musical Fidelity A324, Theta Pro Basic IIIa, Bel Canto DAC2, Stello DA220 by April Music or Monarchy Audio Model 22C). Seperate DACs don't seem to be as popular or common as the were several years ago and I'm wondering if one would be of noticable value in my system.

Am I wasting my money going this route or will a DAC clean up and improve the sound of my current player enough to justify the cost? There really are no high end CD changers on the market (the Rotel RC-1055 isn't a stellar performer and the McIntosh 5 disc changer is plain ugly and expensive) so I see this as my only avenue to improvement.

I don't have a dealer I can demo one from (I live in Montana) so I'm depending on your advice and reviews and having to make a purchase over the internet on this info.

Thanks for your help,

Christian

·
Registered
259 Posts
I am definitely no expert, but it is my understanding that it will. I have a 200 disc dvd/cd player that is about 5 years old. I am in the process of upgradding it with a EAD DSP 7000 MKIII HDCD. I am picking it up very cheaply and believe it will allow me to keep my player as a dedicated cd.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Quote:
Am I wasting my money going this route or will a DAC clean up and improve the sound of my current player enough to justify the cost?
You've got pretty good speakers - what's the rest of your system?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm setting up a seperate Stereo system upstairs which will most likely consist of: Marantz PM7200 integrated amp, Canton Karat L100 speakers on Target HR60 stands, Marantz CC4300 5 disc CD player used as a transport, DAC???, Sub??? Acoustic Research Master Series cables.

·
Premium Member
2,468 Posts
I am a big fan of the Bel Canto DAC's, both the DAC-1 and DAC-2.

I have owned a lot of high-end DACs and CDPs over the years, much much more expensive then the Bel Canto, and still think the DAC-2 is a fantastic piece for its price ( about $800 at Audiogon ).

- Andy

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd second the vote for the Bel Canto DAC2.

I added it to a Nakamichi MB-10 5-disc changer and the improvement was astonishing.

For me, the Bel Canto has the added advantage of being small enough to fit behing the cd player without taking up additional rack space. It's also amazing value for money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.