AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a Sharp LC-60LE920UN and really want a Wii too. I have done some searching and will get a component cable to hook up the Wii with as it appears that improves picture quality. Do you think I would have a good game experience with the Wii on a TV this big using component hook-up or should i not even try to use a Wii on a TV this big?

·
Registered
948 Posts
First of all, that is one awesome TV you got there!

Try a quick AVS search, you'll find a dozen or so threads with feedback from Wii owners and some tweaks. A starting point (55" Sharp TV): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1261366

and the official Quattron thread (there is no official 920/925 series owners thread yet): http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1246058

Basically, "good" is pretty subjective with Wii... many folks in here (myself included) are running a Wii on 60+ inch screens or front projection systems and have "good" results, but you'll definitely see flaws upscaling 480i/p to 1080p. Games that support 480p and 16:9 can look really nice, but even even with component cables there's always aliasing (aka jaggies), low res background textures, and potentially some lag depending on the set- not sure about your particular HDTV, but... really, if you like the Wii and there's games you enjoy, it doesn't have to look great, it'll be fun regardless.

just my $0.02.

-vdz

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your response! I have a 37" Sharp now and its a couple years old but still looks good so when I decided to go bigger I looked at Sharp again and did some research and purchased the set yesterday. It will be delivered in about a week I've been told. I will be going through the threads you posted to get more information on using a Wii with the LC-60LE920UN and will post some feedback when I get it all hooked up. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoozen /forum/post/19552198

... really, if you like the Wii and there's games you enjoy, it doesn't have to look great, it'll be fun regardless.

just my $0.02.

-vdz

+1.

Don't go in expecting too much from picture quality, & enjoy the gameplay. Sounds like you've done your homework, but:

- Use component cables

- Set Wii to 480p

- If you have a receiver or processor, compare any scaling on it to that in your tv, to see which looks better (or is quicker).

- Your Sharp has a game mode... don't know if these really do anything in reducing lag, it seems like the Sharp may just reduce brightness, but try it out...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts