AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just something ive always pondered

i plan on buying/making some sort of room treatments sooner than later; most likely the panels on the walls

will that help sound travel less through the walls as well? its not like i play music loud enough to feel as through i need sound-proofing, im really just curious more than anything.

thanks for reading!

·
Registered
595 Posts
Not usually. Room treatments are generally aimed at modifying and controlling reflections within the room. Absorbing sound at key reflection points, attenuating the natural tendencies of room corners to act like a waveguide at low frequencies and create gain, etc. Most of this audiophile approved paraphernalia is effective at frequencies above 100Hz. Most of the energy that someone in the next room would object to is generated in the low frequencies. If you get the walls and floor moving with bass energy your room could be very well controlled while the guy next door listens to a standing wave from his easy chair.

If you want to isolate two rooms, the cheapest way to do it is mass, mass, mass. Nice 12" thick concrete walls and decoupled subfloors for the two rooms will do it nicely.

·
Registered
634 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i guess i never thought about bass being the sound that travels most. good point!

·
Registered
35 Posts
If you panel you will not sound proof, but you will cut down on reflection. Which in turn by absorbing unwanted noise, you will gain clarity and a lower noise floor in the room.

A well treated room is quieter. So you don't have to raise the volume as high as in a untreated room.

ie. I live in a apartment that I have treated. When I place my ears on the otherside of my front door and listen. I can't hear anything (maybe a slight wisp) with my system playing at a comfortable level.

While when I pass other dwellings the noise leakage is quite loud into the hallway .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.