AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning to get an ATI AIW Radeon 9800 Pro when Harmony comes out because it will supposedly support more than NVidia cards. I have a Shuttle SK41G running two 7200 RPM 8MB cache IDE drives, DVD +R/RW, XP 2200+, and two 256MB DDR, running all at stock speeds.

Will the Shuttle PS have enough power for a AIW 9800 Pro? I do not that some have run the 9700 Pro (non-AIW), which needs additional power, but I can't find how much more power is required for the AIW 9800 Pro.

Thanks.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Yeah buit those little boxes are not well ventelated. I had one of them with a 9800 pro and the side plexiglass was almost hot enough to burn my finger when i touched it. If you can blowhole it your in business.

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
ATI recommends a minimum 300W PS unit for 9800 Pro. Could be even more for AIW. I initially had 9800 Pro hooked up to 250W PSU (ATX crap unit from my previous HP PC) and it did work on my system P4 2.53 1 GB PC 2100 RAM, 845G based mobo, 5400 rpm 160MB HD, DVD-ROM, Audigy 2, Emuzed Capture card, with all other stuff powered by self-powered USB hub.

However, I did notice some glitches in performance and decided to upgrade. I did not feel like taking apart my PC (very small mid-tower case, so to upgrade PS I had to take everything out but the mobo), so I bought another 250W AT (not ATX) PS and connected 9800 Pro to that supply. This did improve performance and PQ. I figure that 9800 Pro needs at least 75W by itself (50W is max that it can get through AGP, so its consumption is probably well in excess of that). Also bear in mind that not all PS are made equal and some inefficient ones while rated 200W may be able to output only 120W on continuous basis.

I believe your plan will work but for top performance with 9800 AIW Pro you need more power, or go with lesser card like 9600 AIW and 200W supply.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by vpopovic
ATI recommends a minimum 300W PS unit for 9800 Pro. Could be even more for AIW. I initially had 9800 Pro hooked up to 250W PSU (ATX crap unit from my previous HP PC) and it did work on my system P4 2.53 1 GB PC 2100 RAM, 845G based mobo, 5400 rpm 160MB HD, DVD-ROM, Audigy 2, Emuzed Capture card, with all other stuff powered by self-powered USB hub.

However, I did notice some glitches in performance and decided to upgrade. I did not feel like taking apart my PC (very small mid-tower case, so to upgrade PS I had to take everything out but the mobo), so I bought another 250W AT (not ATX) PS and connected 9800 Pro to that supply. This did improve performance and PQ. I figure that 9800 Pro needs at least 75W by itself (50W is max that it can get through AGP, so its consumption is probably well in excess of that). Also bear in mind that not all PS are made equal and some inefficient ones while rated 200W may be able to output only 120W on continuous basis.

I believe your plan will work but for top performance with 9800 AIW Pro you need more power, or go with lesser card like 9600 AIW and 200W supply.
Thanks for the tip. I had originally thought of the AIW 9600, but they do not list a price, and a recent press release on ATI's site suggests it is for Europe only and talks about SCART hook up. Could this be correct?

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
I am not sure whether 9600 AIW Pro is available in US - I just read somewhere that it is out. You might be right that it is only for Europe.

Good luck.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had an AIW9700 running in a Shuttle sn41g2 box with no functional problems...

But something to consider if you're going to be running this box in your living room is the noise level of the damn AIW fan. It sounded like a 747 in my living room. I've since swapped the AIW out and replaced it with a fanless Sapphire 9600 and a PVR250 for TV in. Silence is golden, and I'd say that my video captures look far better than anything the 9700 AIW ever produced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.