AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

I have a question. If you buy an integrated amplifier in the UK, can you realistically use it in the USA? Will it be able to plug into the wall fine? Are there any power or voltage issues (or other issues I hadn't considered)? I was considering something like the Yamaha A-S501.

I've tried to search online to find this answer, and even contacted Yamaha USA and pretty much either found nothing or received a non-answer.

Thanks.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Different voltages, different frequency(HZ), and different plugs. Some power supplies can run both 120v/230v, but normally have a switch on the back to determine which power source your using. The specific model doesn't look like it does. Good news is they do make step-up transformers/converters.

·
Registered
182 Posts
when i moved over from Europe, i bought a moderately expensive power converter (~150) for my Luxman integrated amp (it was not from their esoteric line, i had bought it in Europe for a few hundred bucks), and it sounded just as good as back in the "home base". yes it will work, you just have to spend about a hundred bucks on a good converter. if your system is several hundred K it may not feel right, and there may be some genuine limitations that kick in.

The Denon 1290 CD player I owned at the time had a convenient voltage switch, no issues there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts