AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the longest time I could get every OTA station from Philadelphia except NBC. I installed a rotor (rotator) yesterday and can now get NBC. The highest signal strength I can get is around 65 but I get video breakup (square blocks), picture freezes and audio dropouts. I find this strange because Fox comes in with a strength of 55 and I have no problems with the picture. I occasionally get these breakups with PBS and this is with a signal strength of 85. Will an amplifier fix this? If so, what's a good one to get?

·
Registered
887 Posts
John,

As your roughly 30mi,an antenna mounted preamp probably would help.Would need to know what type antenna you're using,and the channels you want to receive,UHF,VHF,or both to make a recommendation,though.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Max, thanks for the response. I'm not exactly sure what brand of antenna it is because it was there when I moved it. It looks like this one from Radio Shack but I'm not sure if that's the exact model.
http://www.radioshack.com/product.as...5Fid=15%2D2156

I basically get every channel I want in Philadelphia but I would like NBC and PBS to not get the breakups that they are. I watched PBS for a bit last night and it dropped out only once so that's not nearly as bad as NBC. I get CBS, ABC, and Fox fine though.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I live in West Windsor NJ and get excellent reception of all the Philly digital channels. I'm using a Winegard 8800 antenna with their Model 4800 pre amp, attic mounted. I would stay away from the Ratshack pre amps as I've heard they can be noisy.

·
Registered
202 Posts
A pre-amp can overcome the loss in cable from antenna to receiver. If you have a longish (maybe 100ft) cable or have splitters before the receiver, then a pre-amp can help. It cannot bring in a signal that the antenna cannot get though. Also be sure that there are no strong signals nearby which can overload the pre-amp. Cheap (read Rat Shack) pre-amps can cause as many problems as they fix.

Jim

·
Registered
887 Posts
John,

The VHF/UHF antenna you have has a simple dipole driven corner reflector section for UHF,and its frequency response,especially on channels above 50(you have 5 DT channels above 50) is probably somewhat lacking,so a preamp will probably help.

Here's an economical place to buy online.

CHANNEL MASTER® CM7778 Preamplifier
http://www.consumer-direct.com/detai...vpartno=CM7778

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great. thanks for the info everyone. I will try a preamp but not the one from Radio Shack. I'm not even too sure if my antenna is from radio Shack either but I knew that the picture on their site was very similar to mine.

Johnr0836, since you live very close to me, have you ever attempted to gt any OTA channels from NY? I'm curious if we can get any in from where we are.

·
Registered
111 Posts
John

If I rotate the antenna 180 degrees I can get CBS and FOX out of New York. When the other NY stations get up and running I may get a rotator to be able to switch from Philly to NYC.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.