AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I really tried to search for this answer, but I had no luck finding anything.

I currently have an aging Sony 1080i TV (KDS-R50XBR1) which is still serving me well and I'm planning on riding this out until it starts having issues since its a rear projection and physically a bit unwieldy so it will be a pain to find it a new home.

My receiver is also old (Denon AVR-587) and the lack of HDMI inputs is starting to become an issue, especially with a new HTPC on the horizon.

I've been using my 3rd Generation Apple TV more lately, and it doesn't do interlaced output (only 720p and 1080p) and the difference between 720 and 1080 resolutions is noticeable and becoming more of a problem as I'm getting more 1080 content available. (My PS3 playing video at 1080i, looks more detailed then the same video in 720p from the AppleTV)

I've been looking at either the Denon AVR-1613 or AVR-1713, and I'm trying to find out if those would accept a 1080p signal and output a 1080i format. There's a lot of talk about upscaling to 1080p and the various qualities that result, but not much about 'downscaling' to 1080i. I would think that's a lot simpler of a process since its just selecting alternate lines in each successive frame.

I'm a bit hesitant now to buy an upgrade in hardware only to find out that I get marginal new utility. I know the longer I can wait, the cheaper it will be to get a bigger upgrade.

Thanks for getting to the end of this, and I'd appreciate any thoughts or recommendations.

·
Registered
29,106 Posts
The 1613 and 1713 don't have a video scaler at all. So it won't be up or downconverting anything.

I've got my DirecTV box connected to the 1613 receiver and have it set to 1080i to my Panasonic LCD which can do 720p and 1080i but not 1080p.

blu ray player is set to Auto and sends a 1080i signal to receiver and TV. Roku box sends 1080i also.

Dont know how your PC will work.

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
If you're in the U.S., Denon's new AVR E400 includes both 720p and 1080i settings. (the E300 doesn't have a acaler) If your TV has a 720p display, then that's the setting you should use so that the image doesn't get scaled twice: first to 1080i and then internally by the TV to its native 720p resolution.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input! Sounds like I'm have to shell out a bit more cash, or just live with 720p on some devices that don't support 1080i. I am indeed in the United States but think that the 1613 will be deliver the best value while supporting everything I'd want (except for 4K, but honestly, that's a ways off still)

Knowing that without a scaler, the video is just a passthrough is very helpful as I've been able to test HDMI out from a laptop directly to the TV. It works, but at a low refresh rate (30Hz) and has terrible overscan issues. I really didn't expect much out of that, but it may be sufficient until I can replace the TV.

I'm more interested in getting the highest resolution possible output natively, and was hoping that downscaling was something that didn't require additional hardware.

Thanks again for the help!

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
Unfortunately, like almost all AV receivers the Denon AVR-E400 won't downscale resolutions. The only receivers I know of that will downscale 1080p HDMI to 1080i HDMI are the Yamaha RX-A20x0 and RX-A30x0 receivers. Even then they only downscale 1080p 50/60 Hz, not 24 Hz.

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
In other words, set the output resolution of the video source device (e.g. Blu-ray player, cable box, etc ) to 720p. They do properly downscale.

·
Registered
1,549 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan K  /t/1468298/will-an-avr-downscale-for-a-1080i-tv#post_23206223

Knowing that without a scaler, the video is just a passthrough is very helpful as I've been able to test HDMI out from a laptop directly to the TV. It works, but at a low refresh rate (30Hz) and has terrible overscan issues. I really didn't expect much out of that, but it may be sufficient until I can replace the TV.

The 30 Hz refresh rate is normal for 1080i. The overscan problem can normally be solved be adjusting the settings on your PC and TV. Your display driver's control panel should allow you to adjust the overscan area it adds to its output. Hopefully your TV has an option that wil give you an option that will give you a 1:1 pixel mapping. If so then you can remove the video driver's overscan completely, otherwise you'll need to set it so it adds as much of an overscan as the TV removes.

·
Registered
15,085 Posts
Some older 780p TVs simply don't have fast enough circuits to be able to do 1080p -- especially the CRT HDTVs. Remember that broadcast TV stations don't transmit 1080p at all -- only 720p and 1080i.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mogorf  /t/1468298/will-an-avr-downscale-for-a-1080i-tv#post_23206750

I've never heard of a TV where the native resolution is "i" and not "p". Even your Sony TV's specs says: native resolution: 1080p. Don't know how you've got to the conclusion that the KDS-R50XBR1 only does 1080i.

The OP didn't say explicitly that's the native resolution. The TV's native res is 1080p but it only accepts max 1080i via HDMI: a common area of confusion in older HDTVs.

Also it has two settings to reduce overscan.

It helps to read the manual.

·
Registered
5,888 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilian.ca  /t/1468298/will-an-avr-downscale-for-a-1080i-tv#post_23208078

The OP didn't say explicitly that's the native resolution. The TV's native res is 1080p but it only accepts max 1080i via HDMI: a common area of confusion in older HDTVs.

Also it has two settings to reduce overscan.

It helps to read the manual.

Thanks. I didn't know that. There's always something new to learn about old TVs.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.