AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I am running an HTPC at a HD resolution such as 960x540 or 1920x1080i will an LCD refuse to display other than it's native resolution?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Murry,

LCD's will refuse to display resolutions that were not "programmed", which is often the case with 540p or 1080i. Many will display 720p. Newer units can often do dot by dot mode but interlaced resolutions will confuse it into display only half the image.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Kei,

So would a fully adjustable small CRT monitor be a much better choice for a service/adjustment/backup monitor to my HDTV projector?

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Murray,

Actually, that would depend on how you use the monitor. I have several LCD monitors I use in various configurations.

15" 1024x768 Viewsonic VX500 used as control only to my main Display. In this scenario, the display never does full-screen HDTV output but is set to Windows desktop via DVI output of the graphics card. My main display is connected via the loop back to the VGA connection and can be configured easily by software, but it is set as seperate monitor so that it's passing full-screen HDTV at all times.

17" 1280x1024 Viewsonic VX700 used as PC/HDTV desktop system. I have DVI input for the PC desktop, and VGA connected to the HDTV card configured to 720p output. I switch back and forth between the two inputs which are configured as seperate monitor.

If the two displays need to run at the same resolution, CRT maybe your best bet.

·
Registered
3,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Kei,

Which dual headd video card(s) are you running in your HTPC(s).

Murray Kerdman

·
Registered
4,321 Posts
Murray,

Right now, most of my PC's are running the Radeon 7500, but I've considered switching to the 9000 or 9700. I'm just loathe to mess with a PC that's working perfectly. All of the above are available with DVI/VGA.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.