20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello there, I'm a newbie.

I've recently purchased:

Panaasonic 47wx53 (great)!!

Denon DVD-2200

Harmon Kardon AVR 230

Axiom M22 w/ stands

I still need to buy ALL of my cables and a sub.

I am split over an HSU STF-2 or the $549 SVS cylinder.

Here's the deal: I live in an apartment complex and have neighbors who will complain. If i watch DVD's/ listen to music after 10pm, I will have to disconnect my sub.

Given the descriptions online a 25-31 sub will shake the room and obviously disturb my neighbors. Therefore, I thought the STF-2 would be better as perhaps i could use it more often without disturbing my neighbors.

The SVS will be great during movies. But I feel that for music, the STF-2 will be plenty.

Any owners care to give input as to whether I'll disturb my neighbors too much?

Thanks.

·
Registered
27,600 Posts
Who cares......(or invite him over).

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
some people suggest getting buttkickers instead of a sub. You will lose something, obviously, but it could be a compromise to consider..

I like the idea of befriending the neighbor too, if there is a specific neighbor you are worried about.. "I just got a new home entertainment system, do you guys want to come over and watch a movie, sometime?"

·
Registered
28 Posts
I'd recommend getting the best sub your budget can afford and just turn it down to "apartment level" and put it as close to your couch as possible.

The volume you have it on will determine your neighbor hearing it or not. Both the ones you listed will alarm them at full reference level. So, should you go buy a cheapie that barely has any output? I wouldn't. Turn down the volume of a good one.

You may not plan to live in an apartment forever, it'd be nice to have a good sub already at that point.

my .02

·
Registered
7,635 Posts
I'd probably go with a small sub that doesn't go too low. The low frequencies travel further than high frequencies, so if your sub was only rated down to say, 30hz... then (and I'm only assuming here) it might not bother your neighbors as much as an SVS which can easily go down below 20hz.

Then I'd make up for the wuss sub by getting something like the buttkicker mentioned above. This way I'd get the "low bass sound" from the sub and the "shake your butt" from the buttkickers.

Again I'm only guessing here, but I figure this would be the best compromise.

But I live in a house and have a 1000 watt 15" sub so I have no idea. I just blast it and don't worry about a thing. :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
I tend to agree with sputnikv8, if you plan to move to a house sometime in the future.

Otherwise, either will disturb the neighbors, esp at high levels. Even a small 8" sub that only hits 40Hz will...(I know...)

Put it this way, I normally watch movies at -15dB, but in my house, the upstairs is better isolated from the HT than previous apartments have been...but not only does it "disturb" my girlfriend when she was upstairs it shakes and rattles quite a few things.

A quality sub+apartment played at anything near mid level is going to be a no-no!

Just a warning, you can always turn it down or use it for the no holds barred noisy part of the day.....

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.