AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased the Energy Take classic HTIB paired with a Denon 1911 and I'm actually quite impressed on how well it sounds both musically and for movies. I do wish the sub could deliver more punch for movies though. If I were to purchase something like a 10" or 12" by HSU, Mirage Prestige series or Lava sub to run with the 8" Energy would it be worth it and do what I want or would it overpower everything? Should I just look to replace the 8" or could it be used kind of like a mid driver? The room is about 15x25 and open to the stairs (split foyer), the tv and av equipment is on the short wall of that, so we sit about 11' away, tile and carpet floor (concrete underneath), no wall treatment.

·
Premium Member
13,384 Posts
That's a huge space for an 8" sub to fill! IMO, you should be running at least one good-quality / well-reviewed / brand-name 12" or 15" sub (SVS, HSU, Epik, Rythmik, etc.).

If you calibrate your sub to the system, it should integrate well with the other speakers, and not overpower them.

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I agree. Your room is way to large for that 8'' sub. As stated you will need at least 1 good quality larger sub of at least 12'' or 15'' to get good bass in your room. I would recommend using multiple subs if you can afford it. You will have better room response that way. I don't think you should bother using that small sub with larger subs. It may complicate things and the smaller sub will most likely run out of steam trying to keep up with larger subs. You could try it and see what happens. You never know until you test it.

·
Registered
7,003 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzznutz /forum/post/19619786

Gotcha. Thanks for the input so far! I'll check out some reviews for a nice 12" that is both good with music and ht.

well what percent of the time will it be used for Music? And what percent of time will it be used for Movies?

Whats your budget?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyrob425 /forum/post/19620319

well what percent of the time will it be used for Music? And what percent of time will it be used for Movies?

Whats your budget?

Probably 60 music 40 movies. I'd like to keep it under $350 if possible...but I'm flexible here. Mind you, it's not like the Take Classics are some sort of high end speaker.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts