AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that Panasonic quit making a 37" awhile back, and that Insignia and one other lower tier brand makes a 32" plasma. And I also have read that LCDs are improving enough to make plasmas in that size range unnecessary, although I totally disagree.

I want a small plasma for my bedroom. The reason I want plasma: I will be watching it at night when it is dark, and much of the time I will be watching sports. Those two reasons direct me to plasma.

Now I already have a 42 inch plasma in the living room and I love it. I have an LCD as my computer monitor, and when I use it at night in a darkened room, I see light bleeding through the black screen. I have read that LCDs are much improved, in both blacks and image motion, but I firmly believe that they are still not as good as plasmas.

As for the Insignia 32" plasma, I tried it and it produced a nice picture, but I was disappointed in the number of and selection of screen sizes. Other than on the full HD channels, the options for screen sizes were very inadequate. My 42" plasma had/has much better array of screen sizes to choose from. I have been told that the number of/variety of screen sizes has to do with the level of or the "tier" of the plasma; ie. 1st, 2nd, or 3rd tier plasma. The higher the tier, the better the options.

So back to my question: Does anyone know, has anyone heard, any good rumors of, any of the major top tier companies coming out with 32 or 37 inch plasmas again?

Thanks.

Mike

·
Registered
2,901 Posts
I don't know if you consider LG a "major" or "top tier" maker but they are certainly one of the most prolific when it comes to making flat panel plasma/lcd panels. In fact the Insignia you tried had LG glass and they also make a 32" LG branded tv but it seems to be hard to find in the US.

To answer your question though, I don't think Panasonic (Pioneer is out of the panel producing business for plasma) will make anything smaller than a 42" because of the publics appetite for increasingly larger screens...and also the fact that when you get into the smaller sizes you are in the realm of heavy price competiton with the 2nd and 3rd tier makers. Other than LG, Samsung would be the most likely to test the 32" waters if it proves to be lucrative enough..

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your reply Joe.

Mike

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
I think they would crazy not too. The Vizio 32 inch plasma was and still is a HUGE seller.

Can you imagine if Panasonic came out with a 32 inch? It would be nuts. There is such a big market for 32 inch TV's that I think the more well known names ignoring this market segment would be nuts.

·
Registered
2,901 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd /forum/post/15433670

I think they would crazy not too. The Vizio 32 inch plasma was and still is a HUGE seller.

Can you imagine if Panasonic came out with a 32 inch? It would be nuts. There is such a big market for 32 inch TV's that I think the more well known names ignoring this market segment would be nuts.

The problem is that when you get down to the 32" size....a larger segment of buyers will not only hook up a HTPC but also try to use it as a full time pc monitor. That's the one thing I'll concede that plasma is not well suited for..

·
Registered
870 Posts
The other problem is that for 1080p tv, you need a massive screen or you have to sit right on top of it. It just isn't practicle to build a 1080p tv that small. Monitors for computer yes. Leave the junk for lcd. Blu ray viewing is done on a couch not at a desk.

There will always be small sets, but I doubt plasma goes less than 42". Companys are allready dropping 720p panels, so there goes the technology for normal viewing on small sets.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all who have replied. This is not encouraging. The benefits of a plasma, even at these smaller sizes, outweigh those of an LCD. Unless LCDs improve a whole bunch, or some better technology comes along in these sizes, I will just have to hang onto my old CRT for the bedroom and forget any plans for upgrading. What a drag!

Mike

·
Registered
794 Posts
I'm in the same boat. We'll find out next week when CES starts. I don't think it's likely Panasonic or Samsung comes out with one. LG is a better bet since they already have one for the Euro market (32PG6000). But it seems LG panels are very susceptible to IR based on what I've read about the Vizio, Insignia and even LG's own models.

1/9/09 is make or break day for me. If there's no announcement of a 32" plasma from a higher tier brand, I'm getting the Insignia that weekend.

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I had the 32" Insignia for a week and took it back. I had no quarrel with the PQ, but I did with the lack of adequate selection of screen sizes. The choices for screen sizes was not as complete as I have with my 42" Toshiba plasma. With the Insignia, if it was not an HD channel, the picture was either super stretched or was bordered by black bands on both sides, or on all sides. If I used the zoom option, about 20% of the picture was lost on all the sides. None of these were exceptable. This was true with SD TV, digital TV, and commercial DVDs. Even when I played my DVDs shot with my camcorder in 16x9, I could not get an acceptable picture size.

So I returned it.

Mike

·
Registered
691 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My hopes are for an upper, or at least a mid level plasma in the 32-37" size being introduced at CES. Those hopes rank somewhere below my concerns for the hungry, the poor, the hurting, etc. It sometimes helps to put things in perspective.

Hope all have a better new year than the last.

Mike

·
Registered
794 Posts
I know price talk isn't allowed so I'll say only this much...

Anyone on the fence about the Insignia, next week - beginning this Sunday - is the time to buy.

·
Registered
548 Posts
There have been a couple mentions of inadequate scaling modes on the insig/viz 32"...

If you are using a cable provider with the popular Motorola boxes, 4:3 content scaling can be handled by the box. So long as you set it up as such, at that point full / zoom modes become enough to handle almost all situations.

Full for hd... full (with stb handling justify) for SD 4:3, and zoom for 4:3 letterbox.

I don't mean to insult anyone here but Comcast at least, doesn't really make it clear that the boxes will do this. I figured this might be the difference enough to satisfy some folks. I have Panasonic's in my house and while I prefer the Panasonic nonlinear "justify" mode for 4:3... in the long run I've found it easier to just use the stb scaling so I can leave the set on Full almost all the time and not be constantly switching modes on the set. It leaves only a few odd programs here and there in 4:3 letterbox where I have to switch over to zoom.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slare /forum/post/15479657

There have been a couple mentions of inadequate scaling modes on the insig/viz 32"...

If you are using a cable provider with the popular Motorola boxes, 4:3 content scaling can be handled by the box. So long as you set it up as such, at that point full / zoom modes become enough to handle almost all situations.

Full for hd... full (with stb handling justify) for SD 4:3, and zoom for 4:3 letterbox.

I don't mean to insult anyone here but Comcast at least, doesn't really make it clear that the boxes will do this. I figured this might be the difference enough to satisfy some folks. I have Panasonic's in my house and while I prefer the Panasonic nonlinear "justify" mode for 4:3... in the long run I've found it easier to just use the stb scaling so I can leave the set on Full almost all the time and not be constantly switching modes on the set. It leaves only a few odd programs here and there in 4:3 letterbox where I have to switch over to zoom.

But the stretch modes on HD Cable STBs or the Tivo HD models are exactly the same ones you get on the 32" Insignia plasma - you only have ZOOM, 4:3, or FULL and these are nowhere near as good as the three non-linear Theaterwide stretch modes found on the Toshiba TVs (which i consider to be the best in the TV business).

And what about the people who are using this little plasma with the TV's internal tuner? This TV in particular needs at least one non-linear stretch mode but it does not have any which is a glaring omission and prevents me from buying it right there.

·
Premium Member
18,327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike52 /forum/post/15430074

I want a small plasma for my bedroom. The reason I want plasma: I will be watching it at night when it is dark, and much of the time I will be watching sports. Those two reasons direct me to plasma.

Now I already have a 42 inch plasma in the living room and I love it. I have an LCD as my computer monitor, and when I use it at night in a darkened room, I see light bleeding through the black screen. I have read that LCDs are much improved, in both blacks and image motion, but I firmly believe that they are still not as good as plasmas.

I have been looking around for a bedroom TV and i initially liked the PQ of the 32" Insignia but the lack of useful stretch modes and the poor build quality and IR-prone LG screen have caused me to scratch it off my list as a bedroom TV.

While LCDs are still not as good as plasmas (and probably never will be), i have now been looking at the current 32" 1080p Panasonic LCD TVs and the Toshiba 32" 1080p LCD TVs in a few higher-end stores (which are darker than BB or CC) and i'm very impressed with their performance from what i've seen compared to other LCDs and the 32" Insignia Plasma. Right now i'm using my little 19" Toshiba 19AV500U in that bedroom and the black levels are pretty darn good for an LCD, much better than the Magnavox and Samsung LCDs that i returned over the past 6 months (the Toshiba is a keeper - i love this little TV but i need something bigger in my bedroom).

·
Registered
794 Posts
No new 32" plasmas from anyone at CES.

LED backlighting, 240hz, thin housings and internet-ready TVs seem to be dominating the show.

I'm buying the Insignia this weekend.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.