AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I know that 4:3 is a thing of the past, but there are a lot of great TV shows and stuff that was framed in 4:3, and watching it on a 16:9 display isn't the most ideal way to do it. Either you have the annoying black (or even worse grey) bars on the sides, or you stretch everything out and make everybody look fat.

You'd think that at some point, some manufacturer would consider making a 4:3 display for the purists, that want to have the best picture quality possible, but still want a 4:3 display so that they can enjoy some of their archived content in the best possible way.

Imagine a 32 inch, 4:3 format OLED display. They wouldn't even need to make it 1080p or anything, because none of that content would benefit from it.

I personally would love such a display, mainly for playing old, classic video games from the late 80's and early 90's. I hate playing that stuff on a 16:9 plasma or LCD. It just doesn't look right.

4:3 is the way to go.

I have a very nice Sony PVM from 2003 that everything looks amazing on, but the screen is 20 inches, and the thing is a pretty huge behemoth. It takes two people to move that big arse thing around.

If I had a nice 32 inch 4:3 flat panel, that would be super awesome and super convenient. I know we are talking about something that would be a real niche market, but I remember them making the super wide TV's a long, long time ago, and that was super niche at the time.

·
Registered
871 Posts
No.

Further, one of the chief benefits of OLED is that you will not notice those black bars. They blend with the bezel. It will just look like your bezel is wider at the sides than the top. So there is no need for a 4:3 OLED. If form factor changes, it is going to go the other way to 2.35:1.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Or, depending on your lighting environment, those black bars will blend in with the darkness around you.

So there is no need for a 4:3 OLED. If form factor changes, it is going to go the other way to 2.35:1.
I wouldn't bet on it - more and more displays arectually getting taller/narrower since wider aspect ratios are more unwieldly in a mobile environment.

If anything 16:9 will become even more entrenched due to it being between the wider cinema ratios and the narrower mobile ratios.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
I understand the appeal of such a display, but it's extremely unlikely to happen.
The only possibility I can see would be if there's a market for it to be a drop-in replacement for another display, and I'm not sure it exists - those have already been replaced with LCDs.

The only market I can think of at all, is that you might have some hardcore arcade guys try and crowdfund a 720x480 OLED display to replace their CRT monitors, but I'm not sure that's feasible.
I don't think there are enough of them, and the costs would probably be far too high for that to happen.

I would absolutely buy a smaller 4:3 OLED screen if such a thing existed though - especially a low resolution panel with analog inputs designed to be as low latency as possible for retro gaming.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

·
Registered
32,172 Posts
No one will make such a thing. Not now or ever. Unless you count something like a tablet.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
So, I know that 4:3 is a thing of the past, but there are a lot of great TV shows and stuff that was framed in 4:3, and watching it on a 16:9 display isn't the most ideal way to do it. Either you have the annoying black (or even worse grey) bars on the sides, or you stretch everything out and make everybody look fat.

You'd think that at some point, some manufacturer would consider making a 4:3 display for the purists, that want to have the best picture quality possible, but still want a 4:3 display so that they can enjoy some of their archived content in the best possible way.

Imagine a 32 inch, 4:3 format OLED display. They wouldn't even need to make it 1080p or anything, because none of that content would benefit from it.

I personally would love such a display, mainly for playing old, classic video games from the late 80's and early 90's. I hate playing that stuff on a 16:9 plasma or LCD. It just doesn't look right.

I have a very nice Sony PVM from 2003 that everything looks amazing on, but the screen is 20 inches, and the thing is a pretty huge behemoth. It takes two people to move that big arse thing around.

If I had a nice 32 inch 4:3 flat panel, that would be super awesome and super convenient. I know we are talking about something that would be a real niche market, but I remember them making the super wide TV's a long, long time ago, and that was super niche at the time.

For retro Video games I would recommend a CRT tube tv/monitor.

https://www.google.at/search?q=CRT+Retro+gaming&biw=1920&bih=963&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=nny7VMquGYfvywOkk4DQBQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

You get those for very very cheap or for nothing, and you can build a nice Retro Gaming corner. CRT will get you the true look of that decade.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts

https://www.google.at/search?q=CRT+Retro+gaming&biw=1920&bih=963&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=nny7VMquGYfvywOkk4DQBQ&ved=0CAYQ_AUoAQ

You get those for very very cheap or for nothing, and you can build a nice Retro Gaming corner. CRT will get you the true look of that decade.
Outside of this, an OLED with a CRT upscaler or filter of some sort would be the way to go.

Hardware scalar info:
http://retrogaming.hazard-city.de/
http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page

Emulator CRT filter info:
http://wayback.archive.org/web/20100714074230/http://board.byuu.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=147
http://filthypants.blogspot.com/2010/12/crt-pixel-shader-filter-for-snes.html
http://filthypants.blogspot.co.uk/2011/05/more-emulator-pixel-shaders-crt-updated.html

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Will anybody ever make a 4:3 OLED display for watching old TV shows and stuff in 4:3
No. Unless enough people express interest to the extent that a manufacturer could produce it as a niche product. It'd probably be expensive.

·
Registered
235 Posts
why wouldn't it benefit from 1080p? Wouldn't you want to watch the Citizen Kane Blu Ray for example?

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
I'd just like to mention that, as a current 4:3 Trinitron CRT PC monitor user, I don't see the need for a 4:3 OLED display outside of mobile and/or portable applications.

·
Registered
6,710 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Did you read the original post ?

I own a Sony PVM. I know all about CRT monitors.

Scanlines for the win...

Still, I think it would be super cool to play Super Ghouls and Ghosts on a OLED screen with those blacker than black... blacks...

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
Sony PVM = Nice :)

I personally don't mind black bars at all. Not for the cinema bars, and not for 4:3 content. Its the way it was filmed.

I played some time with my old PS2 hooked to the plasma in 4:3. Awesome.

:)

·
Registered
7,143 Posts

What you're describing isn't just a niche, it's sort of useless-- no offense. With a widescreen monitor or TV you're all set to display widescreen content or 4:3 content. 4:3 content on a widesreen monitor is not nearly as annoying as widescreen content on a 4:3 monitor mostly due to our perception of size being more affected by the vertical than horizontal. I routinely watch 4:3 content on my Panasonic VT60 plasma and after the first minute or two I don't even notice the bars along the sides of the image mostly owing to the Panasonic's deep shade of black. An OLED would be even better! Why have two displays for one job?

The only reasonable application for such a product would be to fit in a retro-style arcade cabinet but then if you're that concerned with authenticity why would you want a fixed-pixel display over a traditional CRT? Nothing compares to CRT for displaying retro games! We have several CRTs still in the house, among them two are actually HDTV: a 32" 4:3 Toshiba Cinema Series and a Sony 56" widescreen rear projection. If you're really set on having a different display then something like this would be ideal, IMO. Of course you're not moving either without a couple very strong men but, hey, you got to make sacrifices for this hobby, right? ;)

1 - 20 of 77 Posts