AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I been reading on the forum. Right now i have GF9600GT and Asus Xonax 1.3 HDAV and i have some problems with getting HD-DTS and TrueHD to play properly. From what i understand will the ATI 5xxx do the same as my 2 cards do now? And will i therefore be able to take those 2 out and get 1 5xxx instead? Will that work better then the HDAV, or is the 5xxx just as buggy?

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman247 /forum/post/19522501

Yes, the ATI5xxx and now ATI6xxx cards all allow bitstreaming HD audio over HDMI. I also believe some of the new NVidia cards now allow the same, but ATI have been doing it a lot longer.

Thanks for your quick response. Is it working better then the HDAV? Or is there any bugs and kinks like with the Xonax?

So a card like ASUS Radeon HD 5770 1GB that costs far less then what i payed for my HDAV will work just fine?

·
Registered
1,650 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak1 /forum/post/19522532

Thanks for your quick response. Is it working better then the HDAV? Or is there any bugs and kinks like with the Xonax?

So a card like ASUS Radeon HD 5770 1GB that costs far less then what i payed for my HDAV will work just fine?

Short Answer: YES

Long Answer: Maybe, maybe not.

Everyone's system and setup is different so no one can predict what might happen in another person's setup.

For the most part, the ATI 5/6000 series cards work without problems (if done right).

You need to have the latest ATI drivers (with the ATI HDMI driver) installed.

Set the HDMI outout as Default in Windows an configure your speakers.

Finally, configure your software player.

If all goes well, you should have it working the first time.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Does your HDAV have the latest firmware? If not, that could be part of the problem.

What sort of problems are you having? No sound? No multichannel?

I'm using an HDAV and the 5450 without issue under Win7 32 bit. I prefer using the HDAV so I can continue using the Asus version of TMT and the setup couldn't be easier. I've re-loaded my OS a number of times and never failed to get DTS-HD and TrueHD working right away.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Then i will consider getting a 5xxx card just to remove 1 component and get the setup more simple, and hopefully working better then my current setup.

When i play Blu-rays it will lags / plays really slow and there is no sound if the audio is DTS-MA or TrueHD in TMT3, i'm reinstalling Win7 tomorrow and maybe that will fix it.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak1 /forum/post/19523503

Then i will consider getting a 5xxx card just to remove 1 component and get the setup more simple, and hopefully working better then my current setup.

When i play Blu-rays it will lags / plays really slow and there is no sound if the audio is DTS-MA or TrueHD in TMT3, i'm reinstalling Win7 tomorrow and maybe that will fix it.

Is hardware acceleration enabled in TMT? What's your default sound device in Win7?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 /forum/post/19523557

Is hardware acceleration enabled in TMT? What's your default sound device in Win7?

Yes. And have also tried disabling it. I also tried both as default sound, I'm quiet sure its not a setting as i have so much. Its down to driver/software versions or even firmware, i don't even know how to see the firmware version on the HDAV.

Heres my setup:

Asus Xonar 1.3 Deluxe 7.12.8.1792

Asus 9600GT Nvidia driver 260.99

Win7 64 bit full updatet using Mediacenter with Mymovies

TMT 3.0.1.185 retail

Onkyo TX-SR607

BenQ W6000 Projector

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I have never tried the retail version of tmt, only the Asus version. Have you tried using the Asus version?

For the firmware, is it version 1.39 or higher? There is probably a small white sticker on the card itself with the firmware version.

Are you running at 24hz or 60 hz?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by audit13 /forum/post/19523937

I have never tried the retail version of tmt, only the Asus version. Have you tried using the Asus version?

For the firmware, is it version 1.39 or higher? There is probably a small white sticker on the card itself with the firmware version.

Are you running at 24hz or 60 hz?

I can't use asus version as i don't know where i put the serial number :/

Ill check the firmware.

60 Hz 1080I i couldn't get it to go to 1080P i hope that will be fixed after reinstalling Windows 7

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
Have you tried connecting to htpc directly to the tv to determine the playback quality?

If you can't get 1080p/60 by going through your receiver, maybe you need to update the edid info for your receiver.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have now reinstalled windows 7 and put in a 5770 instead. Tomorrow i will check if everything work with my tuner and projector.

is 1080p/60hz the optimal for my W6000? Or is 24hz or something better?

If this does not work i will have to do the edid, if i can remember how.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dougw133 /forum/post/19533001

Be ready for garbage Ati drivers. When my 5750 works its great..but..drivers are a disaster

I'm crossing my fingers i will not get any problems. I installed the latest driver and set it all up. I can't test sound till tomorrow. If i get trouble should i downgrade the driver?

·
Registered
2,256 Posts
Ati drivers have been very stable and issue free from version 10.10. It`s just the actual dumb GUI design decisions that suck.

·
Registered
153 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenEyez /forum/post/0

Ati drivers have been very stable and issue free from version 10.10. It`s just the actual dumb GUI design decisions that suck.

The GUI is really dumb. Scaling hidden etc. This latest release finally fixed overscan on reboot. That took a year!!! I found 10.5a hotfix to be most stable before latest. I think finally are getting right. Good luck

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Okay it's not a total success. It plays TrueHD and DTS-MA fine. And display is at 1080p. But on some blurays if i step forward or pause the sound vanish and i have to restart TMT5, Also it dosen't seem totally stable My movies and TMT5 crashes easily.

·
Registered
2,223 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TornadoTJ /forum/post/19540453

Interesting, I don't have that issue. Pentium E5300 Dual Core, 5450, 2GB RAM, TMT5, 7MC, Sony BD player. I also don't have that issue with BD folder rips or MKV rips of BD. I use DTS-MA and TrueHD.

My setup is similar to yours except I am using the Asus oem of TMT3 and an e6300 processor. I have no problems with sound or picture quality also.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts