AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a 7.1 system in my basement (6' 10" ceiling). I have M&K satellites around the room all wall-mounted pretty high. I am about to upgrade my 82" HDTV with an 3" LG OLED and getting a new media console that is 10" wider than the current glass stand that I have. The new TV/stand combo that I'm getting will be a few inches shorter than the current setup. So, I will move the center speaker a little lower on the wall. But not very much. The L/R speakers are angled down toward the seating area. I've never felt that that sound stage feels high. It feels like it's coming from the TV

At the same time I am getting the TV & console, I am upgrading my AVR to a Denon 4700H, which is a 9.2 receiver. So, Atmos is now a possibility. Adding additional ceiling or wall mounted speakers is not an option for multiple reasons.

I'm wondering if, with a wider media console, would it make sense to buy a pair of upfiring Atmos speakers (Klipsch?) and place them on the media cabinet on each side of the TV or does the fact that my main speakers are already mounted high on the wall really mean that adding upfiring Atmos speakers really doesn't make sense?

Below is my current layout

·
Registered
Emotiva XMC-2, Emotiva XPA-9 Gen3, JVC NX7, NHT VT-3/VC-3/VR-3, NHT iC4-ARC x4, HSU VTF-3 MK5 x2
244 Posts
Great question, but I guarantee that you'll get the whole gamut of responses. While there are zero universally shared opinions in the A/V world, one of the more widely accepted ones is that the up-firing speaker approach to Atmos is... "sub-optimal" at the very least. ("Garbage" and "Pure marketing BS" are how many others have phrased it.) Whether it's "better than nothing", as some would claim, is debatable at best.

Bottom line, Atmos would be a completely separate audio layer from your 7/1 base layer, so Atmos objects will "move around" independent of what's going on in that base layer. If your base layer speakers are mounted high on the wall, there may be a bit of loss of distinction between base and overhead layers, but it's not a deal-breaker. The bigger question/limitation is whether the up-firing speakers are going to do a good job of making people perceive Atmos objects as originating from the overhead reflection points. Understandably, a lot of people who have invested in those setups are, well, invested in believing that they can. Objective measurements (and, some would argue, common sense) would suggest that this is optimistic at best and delusional at worst.

·
Premium Member
6,754 Posts
In my personal experience, with less than 3 to 4 ft separation between bed and ceiling speakers layers, ATMOS is not worthy at all. Your bed speakers are literally on the ceiling layer zone already.

Reactions: Bill Broderick

·
Registered
23,679 Posts
Thanks guys. That's what I figured. But I had to ask anyway.
Yeah, I'd skip Atmos and thus go with a less expensive 7 channel receiver unless there are some specific features on that X4700 that you can't live without.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
I currently have a 7.1 system in my basement (6' 10" ceiling). I have M&K satellites around the room all wall-mounted pretty high. I am about to upgrade my 82" HDTV with an 3" LG OLED and getting a new media console that is 10" wider than the current glass stand that I have. The new TV/stand combo that I'm getting will be a few inches shorter than the current setup. So, I will move the center speaker a little lower on the wall. But not very much. The L/R speakers are angled down toward the seating area. I've never felt that that sound stage feels high. It feels like it's coming from the TV

At the same time I am getting the TV & console, I am upgrading my AVR to a Denon 4700H, which is a 9.2 receiver. So, Atmos is now a possibility. Adding additional ceiling or wall mounted speakers is not an option for multiple reasons.

I'm wondering if, with a wider media console, would it make sense to buy a pair of upfiring Atmos speakers (Klipsch?) and place them on the media cabinet on each side of the TV or does the fact that my main speakers are already mounted high on the wall really mean that adding upfiring Atmos speakers really doesn't make sense?

Below is my current layout

View attachment 3157076

View attachment 3157077
I would say not with the height your speakers are right now. You need to have enough separation between the bed layer and Atmos to be effective.

·
Premium Member
774 Posts
With all of the trashing of Atmos by the "big names" lately, soon none of us will have Atmos anyway. We'll be Auro 3D 🤣😂🤣

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
Up-firing modules with such a low ceiling probably wouldn't work so well. Maybe if you're considering shallow speakers mounted on the ceiling.

If you could figure out a different solution to hold the equipment, you might get the center channel below the TV instead of above, if that would help anything.

Adding additional ceiling or wall mounted speakers is not an option for multiple reasons.

·
Registered
5,489 Posts
If you really wanted ATMOS you could lower the L/R but would need to replace the side surrounds to in walls so they can be lower assuming those are at least 3 1/2" stud walls. The rears aren't as critical so could stay as they are. Of course the modern trend is to hide components else where with no console for an uncluttered front stage.

·
Registered
6,537 Posts
You an do Atmos in your room, but it will take quite a bit of work.
Your LCR and surrounds ned to be lowered to seated ear level.
I suggest four ceiling-mounted speakers you can aim at your ears for your Atmos channels. The SVS Prime Elevation speakers are specifically designed for this. The RSL Outsider II is an autdoor speaker with an integral bracket that allows you to aim it wherever you want. In-ceiling speakers with your ceiling height will need an angled baffle af around 30* or so (Paradigm and Klipsch have them) but they are costly compared to the usual RSL C34E in-ceiling that is commonly recommended.
I would mount the TV and use a low console so you can put that centre speaker under it, unless you decide to go in whole-hog and get new LCR speakers too.

Reactions: FrantzM and sdurani

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
Why put all these ugly speakers over your head because Dolby lab sold you some BS story

·
Registered
Sony A8H - Yamaha RX-A2000 - Tekton Lore Reference w/Center - HSU surround - Harbottle Audio 18vS
225 Posts
OP, are you willing to lower your LCRs?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts