1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6,716 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by benes /forum/post/0

I hope they never do.

Agreed.

My understanding was that the BDA had trouble making a combo disc so Sony said they'd opt to include the SD DVD with select BDs. That hasn't happened yet. What's odd though is that somehow Warner apparently has figured out how to put both Blu-ray and HD DVD on one disc. Doesn't sound like the BDA tried to hard to make that BD/SD DVD combo, does it?

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I would rather have an SD DVD included rather then a combo disk (that goes for HD DVD also).

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
gosh..I hope not...please...I hope someone is reading this...and do not build a combo for blu-ray. It's like having DVD-R discs that I pay over $20 for it. Give me a picture disc please. If I want standard DVD, then I'll go out and buy one.

·
Registered
1,439 Posts
I have both formats, and anything thats combo disc not made by universal I buy on Blu-Ray...I save $5bucks and retain my disc cover art.

·
Registered
452 Posts
I've really been against HDDVD combo discs due to the extra costs associated with them (some titles selling for $37.95 at best buy) - making me essentially "pay" for something I would likely never use. I have since used it a couple of times on my laptop or a standard DVD player away from my HDDVD player so it is nice to have.. just not something I would pay extra for if given the opportunity to get the HDDVD alone at a lower cost. With that said..

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Clark /forum/post/0

Why would they want to? So they can charge $39.95 like they do for HD DVD combo discs that no one wants?

John

Several studios have started asking $39.95 MSRP for a NON-combo BD. Just looking through the pre-order lists at Best Buy (where I choose to buy my BD's) shows a very large amount coming in at a selling price of $34.99 - many of these being back-catalog releases that can easily be found in bargain bins for 1/5th the price on DVD. While they're cheaper online (around $31 at DVDEmpire (before shipping)) at that point I would rather have the DVD version included (unless they decide to raise the combo discs to $49.99!)

My gripe with combo's was the added cost but it seems we're paying that extra cost anyways now.. but just not getting the combo.

·
Registered
222 Posts
For the love of God, NO! No combo discs for BD ever. They suck on HD-DVD, and it either drives the price up to unbearable levels or you get cut off potentially having 50gigabytes of room to play with. (which to me is more important as long as BD keeps using AVC or mpeg2).

·
Registered
8,011 Posts
I think Warner's Total HD is possibly a big deal. If it works it provides Blu alot of content options.

It's so popular to bash HD-DVD Combo discs but that maybe WAS an HD-DVD advantage....in so much as mass adoption having a chance, if Total HD works out. If it takes Combo discs to bring the general public towards the new formats, I'm all for it. Personally, I'm not all together partial towards combo discs but if they were the wave, I'd rather ride that than the dead sea.

HD-DVD and Blu-ray are fishbowl formats. I'm for anything that adds more gallons and litres to their tanks. I just think combo discs could very well become muy, muy importante...?

What if Warner's Total HD pushed Blu over the top, amongst other factors, of course....? Talk about ironic, O. Henry!
After all their fueding..... Well, that's one version of future history...... I think Total HD will be a boom or bust. Inbetween seems unlikely.

·
Registered
981 Posts
I hope they never do. I will always buy the non-combo (BD) version all things being equal. Who would realistically put their HD DVD combo disc into most dvd drives/players? Given how fragile HD DVD's are to scratches and marks, I know I wouldn't. Most say they're good for kids to have when they want to watch their DVD's in their room, but that's ridiculous. I know I wouldn't trust a child with a very fragile HD DVD. Even the smallest scratch is enough to cause the disc to fail to work. I know. I've had to take several back for just such incidents.

So the whole endeavor's pointless and just a way to fool people into ruining their HD DVD's. BD's better for not having it. Just have a little patience and buy the DVD on one of those sales. It'll cost only a little more (and since you like paying an extra 5 ontop of your normal HD price, I doubt you'll mind another fiver going toward a completely separate disc you can loan out WHILE you keep your copy).

Combo discs are one of those stupid ideas that seems good until the reasons its stupid pile up and become obvious.

·
Premium Member
4,827 Posts
The BDA defined 3 combo same-side discs based on JVC's work: BD/CD, BD/DVD Type 1 (25/5) and BD/DVD Type 2 (25/9). They booked them as well. It's just that manufacturing them (especially BD/DVD Type 2) proved near impossible. The first formulation of Type 2 was a near disaster--it failed to work on the majority of legacy DVD players, even when the test pool was limited to one brand (JVC). I posted the actual results way back when. The second try netted much better legacy results...even Type 2 would work in the majority of DVD players...thus they reason they got booked. Still, producing discs in a lab and translating that to success in a real-world replication environment are very different things, so the BDA has gone radio silent on this issue (they used to talk about combos quite a bit, as a foil to HD DVD's combo option).

Warner's twist (flipper) wasn't seriously considered as an option owing to the flipper issue.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewretched22 /forum/post/0

As far as i know BD can't because they are not part of the DVD forum.

Well neither are HD DVD technically. Remember that all the BDA companies are part of the DVD forum and if they wanted to they could do it

I'm not against combo, I just think it's utterly pointless. Who's going to buy a HD DVD combo? If you own a HD DVD player, you're going to get a HD DVD disc, if you only have a DVD why would you want one? The common answer is forwards combatability but if you've decided you want a HD DVD player you probably would have got one by now or you'd just hold off buying discs

·
Registered
1,213 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheLion /forum/post/0

I sure hope the BD side of things will NEVER start with this J6P madness.

Agreed.....the only way I can support a combo disk is if offered seperately from a regular 'blu-ray only' release. I also feel that if this were ever the case, that the 'blu-ray only' release would soundly outsell it, and I think this would also be true for HD DVD if they offered thier combo disks in an alternate 'HD DVD only' version as well.

·
Registered
5,067 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amillians /forum/post/0

Warner's twist (flipper) wasn't seriously considered as an option owing to the flipper issue.

And yet, when the combo idea is pushed to where people find the spec acceptable, it turns into a flipper.

There is no single sided four layer plan for HD DVD, right? So there is no way to have two HD DVD layers AND two DVD layers on the same disc except as a flipper.

So, if J6P ever showed interest in flipper HD disc/DVD combos, clearly Warner is showing it would be possible for BD.

Gary

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
As a consumer, we have NO choice in buying HD combo discs. If HD-DVD releases of the same movie in HD-DVD only and a HD-DVD combo, then I'm pretty sure HD-DVD combo would be sitting in their warehouse collecting dust. BD can also release the same way as well..but we just don't have any choice anyway because we'll just have to buy it for HD quality

BD - I hope you understand that I have changed to BD because you don't have combo. If you start release BD combo, then i'm going back HD-DVD!

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
The original combo was to use multiple layers on one side. Imagine the shock of getting HD15 and DVD5 - basically two bad versions of the movie starved for bits. Nobody wants this.

After that the combos became glueons. The glue-ons I suppose could work with anything. If people really wanted, you could have glueon BD50+BD50 for a 100GB disk or a BD50+DVD9 like the HDDVD combos today.

I think glueons are a really bad idea. I collect movies, and though I appreciate the ability to halve the number of disks. For me, it is important to see the picture side of the disk. That's the whole purpose of collecting movies isn't it?

Would I collect stamps if the pretty pictures are gone? I just plain don't like any disk that gets rid of the printed graphics.

·
Registered
157 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBuck1 /forum/post/0

I have both formats, and anything thats combo disc not made by universal I buy on Blu-Ray...I save $5bucks and retain my disc cover art.

Thats exactly what I am doing now that I am format neutral. I personally disliked the combos.

1 - 20 of 57 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.