AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive talked to the magnolia salesman that worked at the bestbuy in fairfax and he said they will not carry it, but ive read in some threads that said that bestbuy will carry them.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnymans
Ive talked to the magnolia salesman that worked at the bestbuy in fairfax and he said they will not carry it, but ive read in some threads that said that bestbuy will carry them.
I was looking forward to buying my SXRD set from the new Magnolia store inside the Best Buy close to my house. When we first heard about them here I made contact with a sales guy and fed him the information about them. He took my information and was going to contact me when he could place an order. When Crutchfield posted the order page for the KDS-R60XBR1 I called him again to be sure he had the latest model numbers and asked him to get back to me ASAP to place an order. He was off the next day. So I found another local retailer with the sets in their order system and placed the order. I never have heard back from the guy at Magnolia. I don't know if he blew me off or is still waiting to hear something about the sets. I gave up trying to help him make the sale.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
The full Magnolia stores will for sure. I don't know if the mini Magnolias in BB stores will have the same stock.

There are several Magnolia stores with the Qualia on display. Santa Clara is another one.

·
Registered
37 Posts
They will be sold in many big box stores including Best Buy, Circuit City, and possibly even Sears. Sony has widened distribution of XBR quite a bit now, they don't care about limiting distribution, they just need to sell a ton of TV's.

·
Coyote Waits
27,302 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcc39
... they just need to sell a ton of TV's ...
... badly! :eek:

·
Registered
4,154 Posts
Having had 3 Trinitron go bad on me, and knowing someone with a Wega that developed a huge yellow spot, I'm kinda wary about Sony. But if the more affordable SXRDs come out looking good, I may go back into the waters. I stopped reading the Qualia 006 marathon thread some time ago, but are people there still generally ecstatic about it? Any major problems developed in past year?

·
Registered
339 Posts
That's my biggest gripe with Sony. The last 2 trinitrons, including an XBR, all had major problems after a couple of years and they weren't cheap to repair. The 2nd now is having major picture problems again after 6 years. My 1st Sony lasted 14 years with no problems. I still have 1987 top of the line Mitsubishi that only started to give problems about 4 years ago. Still has a pretty good pic by todays standards.

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
The three magnolia's in best buys around my area either have no clue what the set is or when it, if it is coming. They just got the 70xbr's in like they were brand new technology when they've had the xs, wf, a10, and a20. I'm not sure if these stores know what they are buying.

·
Registered
688 Posts
 www.twice.com has a brief article covering the SXRD press conference Sony hosted last week.

http://www.twice.com/article/CA62496...=breaking+news

(may require registration)

Quote:
Sony will distribute the sets through SonyStyle.com, at Sony Style retail stores and at authorized Sony XBR dealers nationwide. The expanded XBR distribution base includes both Circuit City and Best Buy, with the latter positioning XBR sets within its step-up Magnolia departments.

To support the new sets, Greg Gudorf, Sony Home Products Division TV marketing VP, said the company will launch an HDTV consumer education campaign later this year, to help TV purchasers understand the differences in the many options facing consumers today.

The program, which will stress finding the best display solution to fit consumer’s individual applications, will utilize TV, print and online advertising, and will include a major sweepstakes and a series of seminars kicking off later this month with plans to hit 1,000 locations across the country.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.