AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some Bose bookshelf speakers for the front and a Sony for the center speaker and I have an Onkyo 7.1 receiver. I needed a subwoofer and some side surround speakers. I ordered A Bose Acoutimass 3 Series IV thinking I could use it as a subwoofer and then small speakers for side surround.


Now unpacking the box (and this is not revealed on any website or at Amazon where I bought it) and I find that it is not a subwoofer like any other I have ever used. It does not plug into the subwoofer output of the receiver.


Now I think I can't use this at all. Should I return them?


Would they have the right cross-over characteristics? Would the subwoofer channel of the receiver be wasted or do the Bose somehow interpret it from the left and right channels (which is how it's supposed to work).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by triglyph /forum/post/16990724


I have some Bose bookshelf speakers for the front and a Sony for the center speaker and I have an Onkyo 7.1 receiver. I needed a subwoofer and some side surround speakers. I ordered A Bose Acoutimass 3 Series IV thinking I could use it as a subwoofer and then small speakers for side surround.


Now unpacking the box (and this is not revealed on any website or at Amazon where I bought it) and I find that it is not a subwoofer like any other I have ever used. It does not plug into the subwoofer output of the receiver.


Now I think I can't use this at all. Should I return them?


Would they have the right cross-over characteristics? Would the subwoofer channel of the receiver be wasted or do the Bose somehow interpret it from the left and right channels (which is how it's supposed to work).

I can think of no kinder way of saying this, box it back up, send it back or give it to a soul who is so broke he would appreciate it.


Trust me, if you got that all hooked up and heard it, after you threw up you'd smash your own face into a mirror for losing time you'll never get back and your ears will close in defense of the horror that emanates from that box that pretends to do something called sub anything.


Good luck with your decision.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
721 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 /forum/post/16991247


Trust me, if you got that all hooked up and heard it, after you threw up you'd smash your own face into a mirror for losing time you'll never get back and your ears will close in defense of the horror that emanates from that box that pretends to do something called sub anything.

That has to be the best post ever made on this forum. I mean, we all know BOSE is crap, but he is right, the worst part wouldn't even be the wasting of money, but the time lost, you will never regain setting up a worthless system.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
Send that back and start over. Figure out your budget for speakers and sub, then start researching. There are brands out there like Energy, Jamo and The Speaker Company that offer great values on speakers. You can also check out BIC subwoofers for great budget sub.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 /forum/post/16991247


I can think of no kinder way of saying this, box it back up, send it back or give it to a soul who is so broke he would appreciate it.


Trust me, if you got that all hooked up and heard it, after you threw up you'd smash your own face into a mirror for losing time you'll never get back and your ears will close in defense of the horror that emanates from that box that pretends to do something called sub anything.


Good luck with your decision.

Typical post coming from a Klipsch owner. Speakers have different distinctive sounds, some people like some, some people like others, there is really no need in bashing like you did. By the way how do you like the EXTREMELY bright, in your face squelling sounds of your Klipsch's? I realize you can't listen to them for very long because they are so fatiguing they make your ears bleed. Taste your own medicine. Ha Ha! By the way I've owned both brands and I can honestly say that both have their merits and advantages in different arenas.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,643 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by klipschhead281 /forum/post/16991247


i can think of no kinder way of saying this, box it back up, send it back or give it to a soul who is so broke he would appreciate it.


Trust me, if you got that all hooked up and heard it, after you threw up you'd smash your own face into a mirror for losing time you'll never get back and your ears will close in defense of the horror that emanates from that box that pretends to do something called sub anything.


Good luck with your decision.



lol!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 /forum/post/16993508


Typical post coming from a Klipsch owner. Speakers have different distinctive sounds, some people like some, some people like others, there is really no need in bashing like you did. By the way how do you like the EXTREMELY bright, in your face squelling sounds of your Klipsch's? I realize you can't listen to them for very long because they are so fatiguing they make your ears bleed. Taste your own medicine. Ha Ha!

No matter our personal preferances, its a safe bet we can all band together to crap on bose.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,723 Posts
Acoustimass/lifestyle oriented systems never work in any type of situation, if you wanted bose so bad you should have stuck with a set of bookshelf speakers and definately do not get the VCS center speaker, no midrange.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks everyone for the opinions but with all due respect I was seeking technical advice.


I know audiophiles hate Bose and I respect that but I really wanted technical advice on any possible workarounds -- which I now know is not possible. I understand now that it is not a real subwoofer.


I bought some Bose bookshelf speakers to replace some Polks that were fine but too big. Those in turn had replaced some AR (Acoustic Research, I don't think they are even in business anymore). Before that, I had Bose 901s, which were horrible! Worst speakers I've ever owned.


I expect some extreme responses from this, but I liked the small bookshelf Bose so much I bought additional bookshelf pairs for the living room and my editing room. I know you guys all hate them, but I like them. De gustibus non disputatem, right?


My real question was can the components of the Acoustimass set be used separately. I've found out elsewhere that they cannot. I thought it was a real subwoofer and I don't feel bad about not seeing it -- the advertising and internet info are not at all clear on that point.


But I do appreciate those who took time to give me feedback on my question.


On another note, any recommendations on a good but very inexpensive mono subwoofer amplifier?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
163 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by triglyph /forum/post/16997478


Thanks everyone for the opinions but with all due respect I was seeking technical advice.




On another note, any recommendations on a good but very inexpensive mono subwoofer amplifier?


Mature response to some serious bashing



For the sub amp, what's the budget and wattage needs?


Jason
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
450 Posts
If by bookshelves you mean something like the 301s - one version of which I used to own - then those are not NEARLY in the same category as the tiny cubes they sell alongside those accoustimass junk-boxes.


Not even close.


However, as you have discovered, the accoustimass thing should be returned if possible, and you should look for a real sub to pair with your Onkyo. Not where I would have started, but a decent place to start now that you're running a 7.1 Onkyo.


I started with my front stage, FWIW. You can do it in any order and at any pace imo. I ran junk sony HTIB for years, then added my 301s to the front and bought a better sub and receiver, which I ran for a couple months while I shopped a new front stage - still using the crap sony cubes for surrounds. It was servicable. Once I put some real research into fronts and got PSB towers - it changed the whole deal - but the new front L&R cost 6x what I paid for those Bose 301s - and that was 15 years ago. So yeah - they BETTER be an upgrade!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,114 Posts
Why go to all the trouble of figuring out a hokey work-around using parts you have to order?


Return the Bose unit and you can easily find a sub that will out perform it for at least the same price if not cheaper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 /forum/post/16993508


Typical post coming from a Klipsch owner.

I guess I could respond with, thanks, but really, your response is typical of a Bose owner.
The point is, I'm not wrong, for what he was trying that Bose setup would have been horrid. A cheap low end Klipsch setup would have been too.

Quote:
Speakers have different distinctive sounds, some people like some, some people like others,

Agreed, yet I don't know a single person who has listened to that Bose system and ANYTHING else and ended up buying the Bose, sorry but lets be real, it's junk.

Quote:
there is really no need in bashing like you did.

I called a spade a spade, Bose is expensive for what they deliver and the only people who I have found that like them are closed minded individuals who feel superior for buying such high end equipment.
Only to find out when they discuss Bose with people who actually know something about these things that they could have bought much better for the same money. PLUS they would have actual specs for that purchase.

Quote:
By the way how do you like the EXTREMELY bright, in your face squelling sounds of your Klipsch's?

I would say you are making assumptions. I would also say there aren't websites devoted to slamming Klipsch and at least Klipsch states the actual specs of every single one of their products. I own a pair of RF-82's, not a single person who has come to my home has stated they sound bright, one reason might be because, duh, they aren't. But hey, assume away.

Quote:
I realize you can't listen to them for very long because they are so fatiguing they make your ears bleed.

Yep, it sucks owning the RF-82's and RC-64, I feel sorry for all the other sods who bought them, we should all trade up to Bose ASAP.


Quote:
Taste your own medicine. Ha Ha! By the way I've owned both brands and I can honestly say that both have their merits and advantages in different arenas.

I can give as good as I take, but surely you can give better than this? After all Klipsch is so known for making junk and all, look at the Palladium's, who would ever want a pair of those extremely bright harsh on the ears piles of junk?
You buy the Bose that has so many merits or advantages and I'll stick to anything else short of white van specials.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by triglyph /forum/post/16997478


Thanks everyone for the opinions but with all due respect I was seeking technical advice.


I know audiophiles hate Bose and I respect that but I really wanted technical advice on any possible workarounds -- which I now know is not possible. I understand now that it is not a real subwoofer.


I bought some Bose bookshelf speakers to replace some Polks that were fine but too big. Those in turn had replaced some AR (Acoustic Research, I don't think they are even in business anymore). Before that, I had Bose 901s, which were horrible! Worst speakers I've ever owned.


I expect some extreme responses from this, but I liked the small bookshelf Bose so much I bought additional bookshelf pairs for the living room and my editing room. I know you guys all hate them, but I like them. De gustibus non disputatem, right?


My real question was can the components of the Acoustimass set be used separately. I've found out elsewhere that they cannot. I thought it was a real subwoofer and I don't feel bad about not seeing it -- the advertising and internet info are not at all clear on that point.


But I do appreciate those who took time to give me feedback on my question.


On another note, any recommendations on a good but very inexpensive mono subwoofer amplifier?

My apologies for not staying on subject. There are a lot of knowledgeable people here who will be able to help with the sub amp. Have a great weekend.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noubourne /forum/post/16999805


If by bookshelves you mean something like the 301s - one version of which I used to own - then those are not NEARLY in the same category as the tiny cubes they sell alongside those accoustimass junk-boxes.


Not even close.


However, as you have discovered, the accoustimass thing should be returned if possible, and you should look for a real sub to pair with your Onkyo. Not where I would have started, but a decent place to start now that you're running a 7.1 Onkyo.


I started with my front stage, FWIW. You can do it in any order and at any pace imo. I ran junk sony HTIB for years, then added my 301s to the front and bought a better sub and receiver, which I ran for a couple months while I shopped a new front stage - still using the crap sony cubes for surrounds. It was servicable. Once I put some real research into fronts and got PSB towers - it changed the whole deal - but the new front L&R cost 6x what I paid for those Bose 301s - and that was 15 years ago. So yeah - they BETTER be an upgrade!!!

Agreed, my distaste with Bose has to do with their module based stuff. Not their bookshelves and other nice individual speakers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 /forum/post/17000256


I guess I could respond with, thanks, but really, your response is typical of a Bose owner.
The point is, I'm not wrong, for what he was trying that Bose setup would have been horrid. A cheap low end Klipsch setup would have been too.




Agreed, yet I don't know a single person who has listened to that Bose system and ANYTHING else and ended up buying the Bose, sorry but lets be real, it's junk.




I called a spade a spade, Bose is expensive for what they deliver and the only people who I have found that like them are closed minded individuals who feel superior for buying such high end equipment.
Only to find out when they discuss Bose with people who actually know something about these things that they could have bought much better for the same money. PLUS they would have actual specs for that purchase.




I would say you are making assumptions. I would also say there aren't websites devoted to slamming Klipsch and at least Klipsch states the actual specs of every single one of their products. I own a pair of RF-82's, not a single person who has come to my home has stated they sound bright, one reason might be because, duh, they aren't. But hey, assume away.




Yep, it sucks owning the RF-82's and RC-64, I feel sorry for all the other sods who bought them, we should all trade up to Bose ASAP.





I can give as good as I take, but surely you can give better than this? After all Klipsch is so known for making junk and all, look at the Palladium's, who would ever want a pair of those extremely bright harsh on the ears piles of junk?
You buy the Bose that has so many merits or advantages and I'll stick to anything else short of white van specials.

You need to relax and get your panties out of a bunch. I really see your colors after a post like that. For one thing, besides the name calling that you try to justify by stating " I called a spade a spade" (ridiculous), you make lots of assumptions and mainly state opinions, I can clearly see that it would be useless to get into any logical conversation or even simple postings with the likes of you after reading your last reply and some of your previous posts, you speak as if you are young and unexperieced. Good luck with your bashing (that seems to get you off). And by the way I'm not a Bose owner but a previous owner but I do own some Klipsch. You need to try not to get so personal and uptight that's why I put Ha Ha at the end of my post (a little tongue in cheek). Good bye.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,130 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWG707 /forum/post/17001490


You need to relax and get your panties out of a bunch. I really see your colors after a post like that. For one thing, besides the name calling that you try to justify by stating " I called a spade a spade" (ridiculous), you make lots of assumptions and mainly state opinions, I can clearly see that it would be useless to get into any logical conversation or even simple postings with the likes of you after reading your last reply and some of your previous posts, you speak as if you are young and unexperieced. Good luck with your bashing (that seems to get you off). And by the way I'm not a Bose owner but a previous owner but I do own some Klipsch. You need to try not to get so personal and uptight that's why I put Ha Ha at the end of my post (a little tongue in cheek). Good bye.

You say I take it personally? Wow doc, heal thyself.

Quote:
and mainly state opinions

How dare I state an opinion (well, fact, but close enough
)? Put me in irons and have me shot. I stated my opinion, made no assumptions, just stated fact, ONE FACT, Bose module based speakers suck, prove me wrong. Also, you stated ha ha after you said how do you like a taste, not at the end of your post, try to get facts straight about your own posts right before telling others how they should post. Oh, and I didn't call anybody names, but you do make it tempting. If you want to debate try and come armed, ok?


Not personal, just an opinion of course, I don't want you to get all bunched up now, but I'm sure you will.
goodbye, goodnight, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
513 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlipschHead281 /forum/post/17001746


You say I take it personally? Wow doc, heal thyself.




How dare I state an opinion (well, fact, but close enough
)? Put me in irons and have me shot. I stated my opinion, made no assumptions, just stated fact, ONE FACT, Bose module based speakers suck, prove me wrong. Also, you stated ha ha after you said how do you like a taste, not at the end of your post, try to get facts straight about your own posts right before telling others how they should post. Oh, and I didn't call anybody names, but you do make it tempting. If you want to debate try and come armed, ok?


Not personal, just an opinion of course, I don't want you to get all bunched up now, but I'm sure you will.
goodbye, goodnight, sleep tight, don't let the bed bugs bite...

You need to stop posting while you still have a bit of credibility left, the more you post the more it is obvious that you are unexperienced and uneducated about many things, not just the subject at hand. The points you try to make and your statements do not have anything to do with the actual subject: "you did not put the HA HA at the very end of your post", what's that. Your a joke.

You are so far off base that I'm ending this nonsense with you. And by the way stating that someone is "a closed minded individual ..." is calling someone a name. Good riddance.
 
1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Top