AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's been a slow time here, so let me toss in a little bomb. (Nice one, for a change...)

Airlines and hotels have already started reducing rates as so many businesses have contracted - how long until we see an oversupply of "business" projectors? Even though they've become a common sales tool, they are still very much a luxury, and I'm sure that not many purchase orders are flying right now. I haven't seen any indication of inventory reductions yet, but in a few months...?

Another nice side-effect could be that the manufacturers may make a more serious effort to diversify into the home markets. Perhaps we could sell them all of the tips accumulated here about "repurposing" their business products! Change now or get stinky, baby!

Any evidence/anecdotes/comments on this?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I don't think that we will be seeing any price reductions off of retail, but I do think that we will be seeing more promotions like rebates and freebies.

I also feel that once these big business projector manufacturers start marketing towards the home they will probably raise the price of the projectors or reduce the level of customer service. I think the home user will be much more sensitive to problems which businesses users don't think twice about. Take the Infocus light boarder problem. Most business users could care less about this, but as a home theater user this was not acceptable. Same goes with the light spillage and rainbow. I'm sure there are many other examples of problems which us home users care passionately about and business users could care less about. All this adds up to more returns, more phone call and more engineers time for fixes. I was told by a customer service rep that there is a significantly larger return rate for home users than business users.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
rickfritz,

I agree with your general comment about home users having some issues that business users don't have.

But it works the other way too.

Business users are very particular about brightness and weight. Also, business users can be very rough on equipment. Gear that sits in the office will be used by many people who are ill-trained. And gear that is carried around can really take a beating.

I am not sure where this will sort out but it is not a one-way street.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.