AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ceiling mounted my 300u and Da-Lite Hi-Power over the weekend. (finally! yeah!) Everything went surprisingly smooth for the most part.

However, this is a basement HT setup like many people here, and therefore there is a floor above it naturally. I have three very active children under age 6 ... talk about your ground pounders! The projector had to be mounted in a location that is a CONSTANT source of traffic on the floor above, unfortunately.

Anyway, I'm worried this constant vibration could either, a) Harm the PJ in general, or b) Shorten lamp life considerably. I'm just not sure what is normal vibration, and what is excessive.

-> Would either of these be the case?

-> Would love to hear other people's thoughts/experiences with vibration?

I did see the image jump slightly when my wife walked across the area once. HOWEVER, I was about 5 inches from the screen.

Guess I'll have to do some testing at viewing distance. I'll just get the kids keyed-up and turn them loose on the floor above. My wife constantly reminds me I'm good at that anyway. ;)

-Tim

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
I understand you have already ceiling-mounted the projector, but if you are worried about the vibration (which certainly does not sound nice to me, either), how about changing it to table- or stand-mount? You will get brighter image from the High Power screen as an added bonus...

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Suishi:

Guess you read this post before you read the other in the SCREENS section, eh? :)

I definitely would NOT want it ANY brighter ... it is almost too bright now. I think hot-spotting could be a definite possibility and it would bleach out the blacks WAY to much. Contrast and black-level are two of my top priorities.

But table-mounting (as I had it temporarily when I was waiting to decide on and receive my screen -- about two weeks) is totally out of the question. I have three kids, ages 6 and under ... that is a nightmare waiting to happen. Also, running cables and hooking them up every time is not fun, as well as getting the PJ just right. I'd end up never watching it.

Thanks for the help anyway.

Take care,

Tim

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
Tim, although I responded to your other thread in the screen forum before this one, I did not realize that they are by the same Tim!

Silly me... LOL

And of course, with three 6-and-under, table/stand-mounding would be out of question!

Silly me^2... LOL

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No problemo. Although my wife says I do have a split personality. ;)

Hey, is that like "Silly me" squared? :)

-Tim

·
Registered
315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought about that, thanks. But, with my current mount, I'm just not sure how I could accomplish that without a major undertaking.

I'd also like to find out what others who have ceiling mounted on a lower floor (which I would think there would be many) have experienced or would weigh in, before I go through the trouble of altering it.

Still haven't had a chance to turn the kids loose for a test of seated position viewing, to see if I can see any movement. However if I do, it won't just be potential damage I will be motivated by ... I will have to figure out something regardless I suppose.

Either that or auction the kids on eBay. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.