AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a noob at CIH but I'm assuming that some zoom would be required without the anamorphic lens. (otherwise it would be CIW, right?)

The 8350 specs manual zoom/manual focus. Does this mean that I would have to get up and manually adjust the lens if I wanted to change between 1.78 and 2.35?

Thanks for your help,

Cory

·
Registered
112 Posts
I don't know about the Epson, but I do know that if you setup the Mitsubishi HC4000 and Panasonic AE4000 correctly, then the projector automatically zooms in and out the image when alternating between 1.78:1 and 2.35:1. No manual shifting of the projector is required or A-lenses.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by manthatsnice /forum/post/20880251

I'm a noob at CIH but I'm assuming that some zoom would be required without the anamorphic lens. (otherwise it would be CIW, right?)

The 8350 specs manual zoom/manual focus. Does this mean that I would have to get up and manually adjust the lens if I wanted to change between 1.78 and 2.35?

Thanks for your help,

Cory

Yes, you'd have to manually adjust it if using the zoom method. Maybe workable if shelf mounted, not so hot if ceiling mounted. When looking at projector options, and planning for zoom method, I disqualified any projector that didn't have power zoom / shift / focus for that reason.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Brad. Boy, you're everywhere by the way.

I was considering the 8350 because of $ and the image quality seems good to me.

I guess I'm now for looking the least expensive auto zoom with a good image...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
Haha, I guess I'm an AVS addict.

The Panny 4000 comes to mind, but of course it is significantly more than that Epson 8350. Maybe the price will come down though with the 7000 coming soon, or you can pick one up used for less?

I went the used route, and bought a used JVC RS-20 with a new spare bulb for $2500, and it has worked out well - but personally, when buying something that expensive, I'd only buy locally where I could meet the seller in person and inspect the item.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. $2500 is not a problem. I just don't want to pay $4k for a pj. I wouldn't be able to appreciate and justify the $ difference.

The search is on.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20880610

Haha, I guess I'm an AVS addict.

The Panny 4000 comes to mind, but of course it is significantly more than that Epson 8350.

1) Does the Panny 4000 have power SHIFT? I know it has power (memory) zoom and focus.

2) Does one need a power shift or just a power zoom/ focus will do?

3) What do you think about the zoom feature on the OPPO 93?

Teecue

·
Registered
611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Horstkotte /forum/post/20880559

Yes, you'd have to manually adjust it if using the zoom method. Maybe workable if shelf mounted, not so hot if ceiling mounted. When looking at projector options, and planning for zoom method, I disqualified any projector that didn't have power zoom / shift / focus for that reason.

I leave my Vango filling a 2.35 screen and use OPPO's 1/2 zoom feature for 16x9 material. The physical lens of the Vango (or any other projector) is untouched. The 16x9 image fits top and bottom and that leaves side bars. There is a pixel density hit over full manual or motorized zooming but for me it is a non-issue. Others will see the impact differently. This approach, while not mentioned much, is likely to very common with OPPO users.

·
Registered
16,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlubbers /forum/post/20881329

I leave my Vango filling a 2.35 screen and use OPPO's 1/2 zoom feature for 16x9 material. The physical lens of the Vango (or any other projector) is untouched. The 16x9 image fits top and bottom and that leaves side bars. There is a pixel density hit over full manual or motorized zooming but for me it is a non-issue. Others will see the impact differently. This approach, while not mentioned much, is likely to very common with OPPO users.

I do this as well on my Oppo 93/RS40/2.35 screen.......works great!

·
Registered
173 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toe /forum/post/20882547

I do this as well on my Oppo 93/RS40/2.35 screen.......works great!

Would you please upload a few screen shots of how it looks.

Thanks.

Teecue

·
Registered
16,890 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeCue /forum/post/20882632

Would you please upload a few screen shots of how it looks.

Thanks.

Teecue

Sorry, I dont have a good enough camera to do so. The one on my cell phone is worthless in that type of lighting/situation. Best if you could demo this type of setup in person and see it with your own eyes anyway.

One other thing to keep in mind is that I am at a ~1.8 view distance when doing this shrink method which is a big reason it looks so good. Someone who sits considerably closer to the screen might not be as impressed and this might not be an acceptable solution (or it might, just depends on the person/setup). You need to check this out for yourself though if you can.

·
Registered
23,130 Posts
Problem with using the Oppo is it doesn't work for anything that isn't played by the Oppo, so if you have any other sources, you really can't use that method (Oppo 1/2 zoom).

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm really struggling with getting a CIH that will work by seating of 12' and 15' (bar) for both 2.35:1 and 1.78:1.

Any thoughts or solutions?

Is this just a case of me wanting my cake and eat it too?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Sorry. My previous post wasn't clear. I blame the phone (although the AVS app is great.)

So I've been using Projector Central's calculator to simulate different pjs, throws, screen sizes and seating distances. I have found no way to hold a constant height between the two aspect ratios and also maintain the same seating distances.

In other words, my seats are either too close for 2.35 or too far away for 1.78.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
335 Posts
What size screen wall do you have to work with?

12'-15' are not unreasonable view distances. Of course, that depends on screen size. My CIH/2.35 is 115" (W). That's an 87" W(1.78) and my view distances are between 10-12'.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks guys. I have a large wall so screen size is not limited except by seating position.

I guess the bottom line is that there's a trade-off when trying to use both aspect ratios. There's no way to satisfy the "recommended" seating position for both with CIH.

But, based on your feedback, it sounds like being a little bigger on the 2.35 side is the way to go.

·
Registered
611 Posts
My thinking is to forget about seating distance. But if you intend to zoom using the projector's zoom lens then you need to make sure that the placement of the projector allow you to entirely fill the scope width when the image is enlarged and also that it will fit inside the HEIGHT of the scope screen using the zoom lens of the projector with 1.78 material. With the Vango short zoom in my theater the projector MUST be placed within 4.5 inches of 15 feet to meet these criteria with a 128 diagonal scope screen. The short zoom on my machine gives me very little margin. Once you are sure that your projector can paint the 2.35 and 1.78 images then sit where you want. IMHO

Stanger89 is clearly correct about the OPPO's 1/2 zoom feature being limited to disks. I tend to forget since I only use disks in there.

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
As far as seating distance, I would optimize for the "money seat" - if you like a high degree of immersion like I do, then it would be the front row.

Here's an oft-linked picture that shows the range of recommendations for seating distance - but ultimately, its your theater, so you get to decide.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts