AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When these players become available that is.. Always been my favorite TV show..

·
23,007 Posts
If I had to guess, no. Or at least not until regular DVD players become extinct. The TV show was 4:3 B&W, which if tranferred decently to regular DVD will look better than the TV show looked on your TV. BTW, I haven't seen the DVD releases to know what they look like.

larry

·
Registered
4,981 Posts
The re-issue of the first season of The Twilight Zone ( the only full season you would really need- the rest are best gotten individually in the singles with 3-4 shows per) looks pretty darn good.

If you think about it, TV shows, particularly of the golden age era, were shot and composed to be perceived on a 20" screen across the room- lots of closeups and medium shots. Apparently lots of BBC and Thames stuff was shot on 16mm. I am working my way through the Buffy canon and lots of those shows are abysmally photographed- underexposed, highlights blown out, color off, etc. And things on low-res videotape wouldn't benefit one iota.

Much of television wouldn't gain much from extra resolution. Now stuff presented in the last few years might be considerably better.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
I think they will. Only, it's more likely that they'll put an entire season on ONE HD disc and not have a hi-res version. There's really no point.

Although, they have remastered the original film onto HD formats so it's not unreasonable to think that they will have a hi-res version for those who have too much money to blow and eyesight like an eagle.

As for me, I recently bought the Definative versions for Season 1 and 2. I like the PQ a lot. I don't think there will be much to be gained by spending more for a HD version.

·
Registered
1,750 Posts
"If you think about it, TV shows, particularly of the golden age era, were shot and composed to be perceived on a 20" screen across the room- lots of closeups and medium shots. Apparently lots of BBC and Thames stuff was shot on 16mm. I am working my way through the Buffy canon and lots of those shows are abysmally photographed- underexposed, highlights blown out, color off, etc. And things on low-res videotape wouldn't benefit one iota."

Those problems are most likely due to poor color correction during the transfer, not poor cinematography.

Classic TV shows like Twilight Zone were actually filmed in 35mm. If the original negatives are still available, they could be converted to 1920X1080 HDTV with as high picture quality as any modern film transfer. As pointed out here ad nauseum, the difference between good HDTV and DVD is striking - even on midrange equipment.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.