AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
CRT technology gives the best images for Home theater use.

Best colours, best contrast, best blacklevels,...

Do you think that any other technology in the future will be able to provide even better results as to image quality or is that impossible?

Just trying to get a better look on what future will bring.

greetz

S

·
Registered
16,014 Posts
greetz,

That's a question that is debated continuously. Many are convinced that solid state imaging technology will advance and will probably make the CRT obsolete one of these days. But it's still anyone's guess as to how far into the future that will happen.

p.s. twenty years ago I thought that by now most of us would be driving electric cars.

Bob Wood

·
Registered
667 Posts
I think the hologram may be a good contender when they finally perfect the technology. Talk about immersive. :)

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Here is my read on the future.

CRT's are no longer being purchased by what were their two largest customer bases, A/V houses and Corporate America. Consequently CRT manufacturers are moving away from the more expensive to produce and support technologies and into those that can perforn for their largest customers. ie, look at Sonys product line and the demise of the G-70 which in my opinion bridged a gap between the D50 and very expensive G90.

Will this drive the digital technology to perform the way home theatre videophiles demand from their CRT's? I'd doubt it. Yes they will get better and better, but I think there are current technological limitations that need to be overcome, that will be replaced by newer technologies.

CRT's are dead prom a new product point of view, IMO, and that will cause an upward swing in the price of good used CRT's as manufacturing continues to decline and the price of new CRT's continues upward. Invest in good used CRT's for your retirement....lol

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Always = Forever and we know there is no such thing. Look at the Dino's ;)

Will it be LCD or Plasma or some far fetched thing right now that might actually work when technology catches up. I dunno. Nothing is forever. Humans would like it to be but unfortunatly no. So the answer to the question of "Will CRT ALWAYS be best?" The answer is no. BUT for now it IS the best ;)

·
Registered
944 Posts
Quote:
Do you think that any other technology in the future will be able to provide even better results as to image quality or is that impossible?
The question isn't whether this will happen or not--of course it will! It's a matter of when, and it isn't NOW...

·
Registered
27,355 Posts
No.............

JEff

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well at least Sam Runco thinks so given the proper environment based on his interview in the latest edition of Widescreen Review. A quite interesting interview considering Runco has the new 1200 CRT model out. Hey life is still good for the CRT's.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
Just to quote myself AGAIN and to keep on topic ;)

Quote:
Originally posted by Figgie
Always = Forever and we know there is no such thing. Look at the Dino's ;)

Will it be LCD or Plasma or some far fetched thing right now that might actually work when technology catches up. I dunno. Nothing is forever. Humans would like it to be but unfortunatly no. So the answer to the question of "Will CRT ALWAYS be best?" The answer is no. BUT for now it IS the best ;)

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Tim Wilkins
Well at least Sam Runco thinks so given the proper environment based on his interview in the latest edition of Widescreen Review. A quite interesting interview considering Runco has the new 1200 CRT model out. Hey life is still good for the CRT's.
Isn't the Runco a rebagged Barco CineMax?

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Chuchuf
Here is my read on the future.

Consequently CRT manufacturers are moving away from the more expensive to produce and support technologies and into those that can perforn for their largest customers. ie, look at Sonys product line and the demise of the G-70 which in my opinion bridged a gap between the D50 and very expensive G90.

Will this drive the digital technology to perform the way home theatre videophiles demand from their CRT's? I'd doubt it. Yes they will get better and better, but I think there are current technological limitations that need to be overcome, that will be replaced by newer technologies.

CRT's are dead prom a new product point of view, IMO, and that will cause an upward swing in the price of good used CRT's as manufacturing continues to decline and the price of new CRT's continues upward. Invest in good used CRT's for your retirement....lol
So will CRT be every time more an "exclusive" product you think?

·
Registered
6,833 Posts
Yesterday I had another opportunity to work on a liquid coupled Marquee 8500 for one of my customers. After replacing one of the CRT's and doing the basic setup and G2 levels we were checking out different DVD's on the improved image.

There was a DVD that had cameras mounted on race cars, one of the race cars was a very deep BLACK. It was like we were watching the actual car itself, you could see reflections in the car, and how well the paint job was. It was incredible, I was stunned, I kept looking at different scenes and found myself not wanting to leave my customers house. It was getting late, so I came to my senses and gathered my tools and left.

I own an installed NEC 6PG Extra with electric screen, AWESOME projector but it has not been used more than four times in the last 6 months. It is in a dedicated home theater setup. Everytime I see a well performing LC Marquee I loose interest in my setup.

In the near future a newer technology will out perform CRT... In another 10 to 20 years it will out perform a LC Marquee...

·
Registered
18,507 Posts
To answer your question:

YES!

Next question..?...:D

Curt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.