AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dalite screen (52x92 da-mat cinema contour) arrived today. When I get home from work I will finally be able to demo my Optoma H55 which has been sitting in my house for 10 days now. Prior to today, I attempted to view the projector on a Benjamin Moore gray painted wall (family room) and it looked surprisingly good. I will provide screen shots once I am set up with the screen. I can only put one more hour on the bulb before returning the projector without a restocking fee if I am not satisfied with the pq.

My basement home theater is still under construction so I will attempt to hang the screen fron the wall studs (no sheet rock yet).

To whomever is interested, post any questions you may have about this projector and I will try to respond.

Dr. Rob

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes !

Please ket us now!!!!

Hope you'll enjoy it....

·
Registered
612 Posts
When you write your review, please let us know what your source component(s) is(are) and the connection(s) you are using to the projector. Also, please tell us the configuration of the projector, the throw distance you used, and any zoom required.

Hope you are pleased with the results! ;)

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My initial impressions:

I only had about 45 minutes to demo the pj on the Da-Lite screen last night. The projector's lens was approx 15ft from the screen (52x92) and I stood about 14ft away most of the time. I had a Sony S550D DVD player connected by the component input (this player is not a progressive scan model). The room is about 16.5ft long and the HT portion of the room is only about 10ft wide. The screen literally "ate up" the wall space. The image looked huge!! Despite the large size of the screen the picture clarity was impressive. Close-up shots of Billy Bob Thorton's face in the beginning of Armageddon revealed the wrinkles on his face and sweat on his forehead with great detail. I did not see any screen door effect until I was about 2ft from the screen. Rapidly moving scenes in this movie and in the Phantom Menace were without artifacts. DarK scenes were adequately detailed. Slight rainbows were seen if you shook your head violently in front of the screen but not with casual viewing of the movie. The only thing I cannot comment on is the color accuracy. I had altered the Hue settings at a previous time to compensate for a gray wall on which I was viewing the pj. I did not have time to alter the color settings last night but hopefully this weekend I will calibrate the image with Sound & Vision' s home Theater Tune-up DVD.

I will post again after the "tune-up".

By the way I have decided to keep the unit.

Dr. Rob

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
To reply to avdoc,

I used 16:9 mode for anamorphic DVD's and 4:3 mode for nonanamorphic dvd's. The pj does not always auto detect the format but with pressing only one button on the remote this is easily done. I kept my DVD player set to 16:9. To fill the screen 92"wide from 15ft it required full zoom. This allows you to almost competely windowbox 4:3 material in the center of the screen when you "unzoom".

Dr. Rob

·
Registered
135 Posts
Happy you're happy with it :D

In fact this is the proj I'm looking forward to buy ....

But all at once the lack of reviews and impressions and practical informations made me think there was something strange going on with this proj....

Dr. Rob have you seen other pj ?

If yes could you make a comparison ? For example with the Ls110 or Sharp Z9000 (I don't remember the exact model name) ..... ?

Again thanks for your first impressions ....

P.s. could you please test the s-video input too ?

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Mark

I have seen the Plus Piano and liked it but no comparison. A friend of mine has the Sony 10HT which I have seen. I have not seen the Sharp-- out of my price range.

The more I use the pj, the more I like it. Did not try S-video yet but I will. Hopefully I will take screen shots tomorrow.

Dr. Rob

·
Registered
135 Posts
Yes please tkae some screenshots.

That would be great!

Thanks

·
Registered
612 Posts
Dr. Rob,

Thanks loads for the info. I'm glad you're pleased with the projector.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Screen shots are uploaded in the Member's photo gallery under ID Dr. Rob. I do not know how to link them here.

I did find some loss of resolution on rapid camera pans while watching this pj. I will post more comments after buying a progresive scan DVD player! All the above comments were using a 480i signal from an older Sony DVD.

Dr. Rob

·
Registered
502 Posts
@ Dr. Rob

thanks for screen shots.

Might be based on the material. Please have alook at "5.TH ELEMENT" Super Bit version or on the player

Please do yourself a favor. Spare your money in buying a progressive player. You don´t need it, because the H55 as an excellent deinterlacer and motion adaption chip with automatic filmmode- recognition (SI 504); put the money in an excellent interlaced DVD-player with component output. With component output (interlaced signal) you will get great pictures. And use the HD-15 conection (please get a excellent adapter cable - if you don´t know send me PM, I will give you the specs)

Also try to play with the asjusting angle of the red and white segmet of the colorwheel. You can tweak the H55 nearer to your personal color feeling.

I hope with these few tips you will enjoy the H55, its a graet unit IMO

when you will have more questions, please post or send me an PM

hb

hb

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hhelmut

It is interesting that when I purchaced this pj, it came with a component to 15 pin connection but only 6 pins were in the 15 pin connector. I just purchaced a 30ft long component to 15 pin connector (for permanent installation) and all 15 pins were present. I do not know if it is my imagination but the image was stunning with the new cable. Quite a difference with near complete elimination of the camera pan problem.

Have you found this also?

I would like assistance in adjusting the color wheel.

Dr. Rob

·
Registered
502 Posts
@ Dr. Rob

I ask your pardon for my late answer, but I´m still in preparing my travel to INFOCOMM - from Europe to Las Vegas it is still a long way.

to your questions:

It is interesting that when I purchaced this pj, it came with a component to 15 pin connection but only 6 pins were in the 15 pin connector. I just purchaced a 30ft long component to 15 pin connector (for permanent installation) and all 15 pins were present

normal you need only the 6 pins; but you got 15. Then they used a 15pins connector but connected only 6 (this will be the normal way)

I do not know if it is my imagination but the image was stunning with the new cable. Quite a difference with near complete elimination of the camera pan problem.

It looks, that you got a professional cable, with 75 Ohm and a loss of round about 1db at 30ft for seeing stunning pictures. Congratulations, you chose a cable for professionals. The cables, which will be packed by by the supplier are normal not in such good quality as you need for "stunning" picture (I will ask every supplier for "sorry, sorry" - but the quality of the cable, you will pack by, are more than often shown as a not so well done quality, but it will be okay)

I would like assistance in adjusting the color wheel.

You are welcome. I think it will be great thing, when we will start a new thread and everybody will share his settings. Till today my problem will be, that in a few hours my plane is starting to LV - can we do the settings at last next week. This will be great.

Or shall we share in this thread - its upon on you!!

Just as the first info: You have to enter the "special-service menu" to get the control. But you have to be careful. I ask you, if you can wait till next week, when I´m back from INFOCOMM, than I´ve more time for answering and helping

hb

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Please me know when you return.

I look forward to communicating further with you. Have a great trip & let us know about Infocomm.

Dr. Rob

·
Registered
502 Posts
@ Dr. Rob

sorry for my late repla, I just forgot it. (after comming back I got a 12hours day- so mauch work)

I´m looking forward in communicating with you

hb

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.