AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at BB. I saw a 50" Samsung DLP RPTV, 720p native. It was playing ESPN HD, which looked great. I saw that it was hooked up to a DVD player via DVI, so I asked the salesman to put on a DVD. He put on T2. I was blown away by the PQ.

My questions:

How much of the credit for the PQ goes to the TV and how much credit goes to the DVI source?

Will a DLP PJ with DVI like the Infocus 4805 be able to approach this level of PQ?

Thanks.

·
Registered
174 Posts
i have an X1 and i am absolutely blown away with its EDTV capabilities. I could only imagine how much better it would be if it supported HDTV.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Have you seen any of the DLP HT projectors? DLP looks quite different from LCD IMHO. I'd rather have an LCD projector(I've owned two) than a smaller TV in a box. That being said, I'd much rather have a DLP projector(I own one) than an LCD. Aside from the smaller image and higher resolution, the Samsung DLP RPTV's look a lot like my Sharp DT-200.

To me, the Samsung DLP RPTV's are the best looking "TV's" I've ever seen. I think what makes DLP displays look so good is the solid, continuous image, the contrast, color and clarity and lack of any major motion artifacts. You can get that with most current "HT" DLP projectors. You will of course get more pixelation and a more visible pixel structure with the lower res units. But for the most part, as long as you don't go too crazy with the screen size and with a slight defocus(when needed) you can get amazing picture quality with some of the SVGA DLP units.

·
Premium Member
804 Posts
Sorry for the rant. Back to your real question, I've seen the Runco 710 DLP projector and was able to compare the component input to DVI and the DVI made a definete if somewhat subtle improvement. Overall, the image from DVD was excellent from either input. For DVI, we were using the Bravo D1 with the output set to 720p and for component, we were using a Denon 5900. The difference between component and DVI was like looking though a clean window on component and through an open window with DVI(if that makes any sense). The scaling was also quite a bit better with the DVI source too(probably due to the 720p output).

Overall, the Samsung will always have an edge due to the smaller screen size, but I think for the price and larger image, most here would choose a projector.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Anthony,

Thanks. Your clean window vs. open window was a very helpful description.

So, based upon your experience with the DT-200, do you think a WVGA like the Infocus 4805 playing DVD via DVI can look comparable to the Samsung I saw?

Any answer or rant is welcome and appreciated,

Jim

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I would put the image that I'm getting up against any DLP RPTV that I've seen. (I've recently set one up for my sister and looked at the RCA and Samsung models) No contest. I'm getting an extremely detailed and film-like image and it's at 100". She has the Samsung 931 with DVI @720P. I have the Momitsu with Component @720P.

I've tried DVI with the Momitsu and will probably upgrade (new cable) in the future. Still, I'm in no rush. The new firmware with the Momitsu has given me more than I need in terms of PQ. It also seems just a little more film-like than DVI. IMHO

·
Registered
499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So far, it sounds like DVI gets only a small part of the credit for the PQ, especially if component seems more film-like. Not what I expected to hear.

Kysersose,

You have the 240K, right? Do you think with a WVGA DLP PJ it would be a no contest as well?

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
It really comes down to personal taste. I found DVI to be almost too clear, it's not a bad thing really. I'm sure once I start using it and tweak it a little bit that I'll be singing a different tune.

If you can see a PJ in your area you should do just that. Let your eyes decide.

Yes, I have the 240K.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.