AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been using a D-ILA Front Projector with a 100" screen for watching DVDs and have definitely noticed the difference between S-Video, Component, and Progressive scan.

But, everyone keeps asking if I can watch TV on it! So I finally hooked-up my DirecTV receiver just to see how it looks. I have to admit I wasn't really impressed. The image was reminiscent of the old S-Video DVD days.

OK, so that wasn't really surprising since, indeed, I was still using S-Video. What I'm wondering is, will using an STB like RCA DTC-100 improve the image of non-HDTV programs? I assume HDTV programs will look good since my projector can handle 1080i directly, but what about NFL Sunday Ticket? I'd be willing to pop for the ~$500 now, if it had any chance to make the picture better than my basic receiver does now.

Anybody else viewing (non-HDTV) DirecTV programs using Front Projection?

·
Registered
3,027 Posts
You will get a better picture. The color improvement alone will be worth it. The signal will never be converted to NTSC. The HD receivers are better. Plus why wouldn't you want to watch HD (HBO/OTA & PPV) from it? Warning, once you watch HD you might not want to watch anything else!

------------------

·
Registered
301 Posts
Jhill,

You seem hesitant to use HDTV with your projector. ? Connecting a DTC-100 (with HDTV) to my D-ILA projector was the most fantastic improvement I've ever made to my home theater . I've had it hooked up for over a year now, everyone is still amazed by the picture quality. As far as non-hd stuff goes, the DTC was a big improvement over the last RCA model I had, I think just because of its perfect interface with the projector.

Have a look at:

http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/003311.html

There's been a lot of talk about the DTC/D-ILA combination there.

-Dave

·
Registered
457 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies.

Actually, I'm quite looking forward to watching HD with my setup. What I was specifically fishing for was justification for getting this receiver despite the "limited" availability of HDTV programming. Believe it or not, it's my wife that wants the NFL Sunday Ticket look better...

Thanks again. Yes, I probably have unfairly discounted OTA. Just feels a little like going backwards after installing the Satellite.

·
Registered
LG 55" C9 OLED, Yamaha RX-A660, Monoprice 5.1.2 Speakers, WMC HTPC, TiVo Bolt, X1
45,617 Posts
Aside from HDTV, your next best images will come from local OTA SDTV. The DirecTV or Dish Network standard channels are all very compressed, due to their adding all the local-into-local stations in the last year, or so.

------------------

"better living thru modern expensive electronics"

tm

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.