AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
744 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone know if DTV will ever have anymore HD channels?

We were told that we would have Showtime HD in January, and we got it in May. I haven't seen anything on the horizon. But the good news, there was 198 and two 509s for a while which means they have more bandwidth to spare.

Just to assume yes, it is probably true in a year or two. Talk merger, and will my dtv1080 beable to get E*? etc.

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Mark Cuban has already said that he will expand HDnet by 3 channels by the end of this year. Movies, Entertainment and Sports, all will be premium.

·
Registered
589 Posts
well according to dtv's webstite after the merger w/ echostar..

Quote:
What will happen to the DIRECTV High Definition services?

Expansion of our High Definition service to at least 12 channels of HDTV will be a result of this merger. In addition, if a change in equipment is needed to allow a customer currently receiving High Definition services to continue to receive those services after the merger, we will provide the equipment at no cost.

thats alot of hd!!

my thoughts on 12 channels breaks up as:

1 ppv

1 hbo

1 showtime

3 hdnets

1 discovery

3-4 locals??

anyone else have thoughts?

nate

·
Registered
3,119 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alczervik2
thats alot of hd!!

1 ppv

1 hbo

1 showtime

3 hdnets

1 discovery

3-4 locals??

nate
Your forgetting that the original HDNet that we have now will be a demo loop, previewing all the stuff on the other channels.:)

·
Registered
3,804 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by alczervik2
well according to dtv's webstite after the merger w/ echostar..

thats alot of hd!!

1 ppv

1 hbo

1 showtime

3 hdnets

1 discovery

3-4 locals??

nate
Don't count on the locals. That would require 3-4 channels times the number of markets served.

·
Registered
369 Posts
MORE EQUIPMENT!!!!! What else can they add??? One LNB for each HD ch???

·
Registered
1,238 Posts
Expect more than 1 pay per view.

ESPN would be fantastic, even if it cost extra..... ahhh Wings vs Aves in HD. Homer drool. Unfortunately, that $17miilion for the truck is a bit much. Now I think they just lunch off the standard SD stadium setups which makes their production cost pretty low.

·
Registered
43 Posts
espn will not launch HD for at least another year. I read it somewhere forget if it was here or on twice but espn is in the process of updating the entire broadcast studios and everything else. They of course will update for the future but dont expect live HD for a while either..........more like sportscenter in HD

·
Registered
564 Posts
ESPN is such a natural fit for HDTV! The only question is when? Thankfully we have HD Net putting pressure on them.

Personally, I hope they do 1080i instead of 720p. What do you think? Perhaps a poll is in order...

I believe e-mailing them can make a big difference...

-Tim

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.