AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
383 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been wondering about this for so long. Are broadcasters going to be increasing power on the digital side after analog goes off?

I've been told that right now, the reason why everyone with indoor antennas have reception problems is because digital is at limited power right now.

I spoke to WZMY in derry new hampshire, which is operating at 7.8kW ERP, on channel 50.1. They shut off their analog signal completely on December 1st, 2008.

They told me that if any stations increase their power, the FCC would have to approve it, and if they did, they would have to be careful because it could cause interference with other stations close by. They told me this is why they are sending out so low.

This seems to be a main problem for us rural area users, who have no options for an outdoor aerial. All we have are rabbit ears.

·
Registered
17,828 Posts
WZMY was just cheap. They actually had a permit from the FCC for 96 kW and chose not to build it.

- Trip

·
Registered
7,195 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicoge21 /forum/post/15564511

I've been told that right now, the reason why everyone with indoor antennas have reception problems is because digital is at limited power right now..

And some people think 1 megawatt isn't needed. A prime example of why as much possible power is desirable if you can get approval to do so.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.