AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is E* currently working on any of this? Are they going to stick with just CBS HD?

Do they have enough bandwith to handle any more HD?

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
"wait for mpeg4" seems to be the popular answer for now

that is, until mpeg4 happens and we still don't get HD networks. :D

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
Only when Charlie goes to HD LIL -- although some form of NBC HD will probably be made available for the Winter Olympics next February.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
When Charlie gets a brain. I don't think he understands that Americans are buying HDTVs and don't want to install antanae on there roof tops. Then again, he can't even supply a functional HD-DVR.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
what's the current market penetration of HDTVs vs. SDTVs?

here's a haiku for you:

dishnetwork HD

two dishes, three antennae

wait for mpeg4

·
Registered
374 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by paintit77
When Charlie gets a brain. I don't think he understands that Americans are buying HDTVs and don't want to install antanae on there roof tops. Then again, he can't even supply a functional HD-DVR.
Oh, I think Charlie has a "brain" alright. Echostar just blew away earning projections and stock is up. Their business model has been very good. Still the cheapest way to get all the channels and still has the most HD material by ANY provider. Of course, much of the HD material is that crazy VOOM channels but technically they have more channels. Their 942 DVR gets good reviews.

I do agree that they are lagging on local HD channels and have emailed them about every month for two years asking for this. DirectTV doesn't have this yet so I guess they don't fell the pressure. Email them multiple times like I do and request this. It can't hurt.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
from mediapost.com:

"...JupiterResearch predicts that HDTV monitors will grow from an installed base of 13 million in 2004 to 74 million by 2010. However, JupiterResearch also estimates that less than 4 million HDTV households were receiving high-definition television service at the end of last year, a number that will grow to 69 million by 2010."

(----Friday, Jul 22, 2005 8:15 AM EST)

There are just under 110 million TV households in the United States.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TNVOL
Oh, I think Charlie has a "brain" alright. Echostar just blew away earning projections and stock is up.
Since when?

It is down $3 YTD, $7 in the last year and $18 over the past 5 years.

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
Both D* and E* are waiting on MPEG4 to launch HD locals. They can not launch MPEG4 until the MPEG4 chips become available and they have designed STB to use them. Trust me, they are not holding up on HD locals just because they feel like it. I expect they are designing away as fast as they can.

I have no insight into D* and E* but I do read the electronics trade magazines.

Rick R

·
Registered
3,828 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgordo
Since when?

It is down $3 YTD, $7 in the last year and $18 over the past 5 years.
What's that quote about statistics and dam lies?

Bought a bunch of Dish back in '97. I'm at about 20x now. Could have sold at its absolute high at about 40x. Kick my butt for not doing it. But then I smack myself for complaining that I've only made 20x over what I paid.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraCL

Bought a bunch of Dish back in '97. I'm at about 20x now. Could have sold at its absolute high at about 40x. Kick my butt for not doing it. But then I smack myself for complaining that I've only made 20x over what I paid.
My friend, you have made nothing till you sell it.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AcuraCL

I would hope that if have owned a stock for that long that you have made that much considering the S&P is up over 30% in that time.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgordo
I would hope that if have owned a stock for that long that you have made that much considering the S&P is up over 30% in that time.
He said 20X its value, not 20%.

·
Premium Member
48,895 Posts
The Dish price is just about exactly the same as it was five years ago, so holding on to it for that period of time certainly hasn't been the best investment.

·
Registered
838 Posts
The S&P has produced a little better than -3%/yr over the last 5yrs. Look what tech and comm stocks have done over the last 5 years. If you go back 7 years with DISH, it was trading under $10/sh (closed today at $30.78/sh). Hasn't been a bad investment compared to say Lucent (cringe!!!).

However, dish stock traded as high as $80/sh at one point and then dropped to around 15 before making it back to where it is now. I'm a broker, and I don't even mess with stuff like this with clients. If one of my clients lost 50% or more on an investment, they would wet their depends undergarments.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGuy
He said 20X its value, not 20%.
It's actually up 10x since 1997 but that is beside the point. What I was trying to say was that when an index is up that much many other stocks are up significantly over that period, obviously I didn't say it very well. :)

The point I was trying to make originally when I responded to AcuraCL was that if E*'s earnings were really that great their stock would be up over the last year or YTD.

·
Registered
3,755 Posts
Poor old stupid Charlie is only worth about $7B now. Just think of how much he could have made if he had a brain!

Doesn't make a whole lot of difference to most of us if E* adds the rest of the network HD feeds. Not that many people qualify to get them.

·
Registered
2,956 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_Bombadil
Poor old stupid Charlie is only worth about $7B now. Just think of how much he could have made if he had a brain!

Doesn't make a whole lot of difference to most of us if E* adds the rest of the network HD feeds. Not that many people qualify to get them.
No, not many of us. Just 30% or so, I think. Those few people in NY, LA, Chicago, Philly and all the other O&O markets.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by MnGuy
No, not many of us. Just 30% or so, I think. Those few people in NY, LA, Chicago, Philly and all the other O&O markets.
I live in an O&O market. Trust me, it is important to us!

BTW, what happened to the Dish HD DVR? If you go to the new website (Dish Network updated it this month) and try to configure a system, it doesn't offer you the option of the HD DVR like it used to. Anybody know what is up with that?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.