AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering, (mind you i have cox hdtv) that i have over 100 channels of sdtv analog and only about 6 hdtv channels.

I don't know what bandwidth limitations exist for cable companies (or maybe even sattelite) and whether they are phasing increases in that bandwidth, but I am wondering how long it will take and whether all the existing sdtv channels will go to hdtv... i just can't see the point in some channels to go to hidef and would rather that bandwith be reduced to make room for more important channels.

After seeing hdtv, the sdtv digital channels are ok but i still have plenty of analog channels too that usually look rather ugly. I have watched FOX widescreen 480p on OTA and compared to analog sdtv it looks incredible. FOX is important enough that I'm glad they are going HDTV, but CNN, FOXnews, History Channel, and even the HBO2, 3, 4 ... are rarely worth watching anymore because they are in sdtv or worse analog sdtv. And some shows like news are not proportionally worth the bandwith that full HDTV would consume.

If EDTV 480p takes up less than half the bandwith (just a guess, maybe less) compared to HDTV, can't that be a viable way to 'stage' in HDTV support. I think i have read that DISH or DirectTV have announced they will carry FOX in EDTV but since FOX is going HDTV im not sure its more than a blip.

Just wondering if anyone has thought about this or knows of whether any cable or sattelite companies have plans regarding a 'middle-ground' solution. Although i would like 100+ channels of HDTV, i don't see that being financially feasable for all the content providers for 5-10 years and i think they could convert to widescreen 480p more cheaply and easily.

·
Registered
564 Posts
As long as it's a 16:9 format. One has to wonder about the value of the news, shopping networks and other rarely viewed networks in HDTV vs. EDTV for at least another 10-15 years when HD cameras are a dime a dozen.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Wouldn't EDTV be sufficient for many programs, like those listed above? And, then the stations could use the subchannels for other important programs like more shopping networks. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.